Baseball prepares to get the bats rolling before Senior Day

Samantha Freeman

Coppell senior Chayton Krauss prepares to pitch against Flower Mound Marcus on March 30. The Cowboys host Hebron tonight, first pitch at 7:30 p.m., and Richardson Pearce tomorrow, first pitch at 1 p.m., at the Coppell ISD Baseball/Softball Complex.

Torie Peck, Staff Writer

The Coppell baseball team hosts Hebron tonight at 7:30 p.m. and Richardson Pearce tomorrow at 1 p.m. at the Coppell ISD Baseball/Softball Complex.

According to Coppell senior pitcher Chayton Krauss, the Cowboys (17-6, 3-3 in District 6-6A) are working on hitting at higher velocities to prepare for Hebron (5-2, 2-2) sophomore pitcher MJ Seo, who is committed to Arkansas and pitches at a top speed of 91 mph.

“Seo will throw harder than what we’ve seen the past couple of weeks,” Krauss said. “We need to hit higher velocities off the machines, look at [stats] we have on him [from previous games] and get used to what we’re going to see so it’s easier when we play him.”

The Cowboys hope to pull out a win tonight and carry the momentum against Pearce (18-2-16, 5-2) on Senior Day.

“Hopefully Friday goes well and we can get a big win which will carry into the next game,” Coppell senior first baseman David Jeon said. “If we lose we need to move on and come back and win [on] Saturday. We need to do what we can to get the win.”

Senior Day offers an opportunity for many seniors to pick up playing time.

“We’re fortunate enough to have a lot of really good pitchers, a lot of whom are seniors,” Krauss said. “A lot of seniors who don’t get to pitch in district [will have an opportunity to pitch]. We also have guys on the bench who would most likely start at other schools, hopefully they will get playing time.”

Follow Torie (@torielpeck) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.