Track warming up to defend district title

Nandini Muresh

Coppell girls hurdlers compete at the Coppell Invitational on March 11 at Buddy Echols Field. On Friday and Saturday, the Coppell track and field team will defend its title in the Class 6-6A District meet at Marcus High School.

Trisha Atluri, Advertising/Circulation Manager

With four consecutive district titles under its belt, the Coppell track and field team prepares to compete in the Class 6-6A track meet at Marcus High School on Friday and Saturday.

According to Coppell girls track coach Nick Benton, the biggest challenge is matching the team’s confidence from winning every district meet since 2016 with results.

“We’re trying to get every one of our kids to produce at a high level at the same time,” Benton said. “Everyone has got to understand that they’re able to do their best and go in with confidence. Everything’s not going to go perfectly, but we need to try as hard as we can.”

Coppell junior runner Akil Darelsalamwala anticipates Marcus to be the boys team’s main competition, while Benton keeps an eye out for Flower Mound on the girls’ side.

“Even though we’ve won every year for the past few years, [beating Marcus] will still be a challenge,” Darelsalamwala said. “They have a lot of new people, and they’re really good this year.”

The top four participants in each event advance to the Class 6A Area meet, which will be hosted by Coppell on April 15-16 at Buddy Echols Field. 

Follow Trisha (@trishatluri) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.