Coppell commemorating Women’s History Month (with video)

Nandini Muresh, Staff Photographer

Flipping through pages of her students’ textbooks and seeing the lack of women representation, Sonoma County, Calif. history teacher Molly Murphy MacGregor and her coworkers are the brains behind Women’s History Month. What started as a small county celebrating women for a week turned into the country honoring women for an entire month over the span of 10 years. 

Every year, the month of March is known as Women’s History Month, and all throughout America, schools teach students about women in history who are overlooked for their contributions. A theme is set each year, and this year, the National Women’s Museum and National Women’s History Alliance chose “Valiant Women of the Vote: Refusing to Be Silenced” in the spirit of the presidential election of 2020 and other challenges that were presented this year.

As well as celebrating the entire month in America, International Women’s Day is annually held on March 8. This day is set aside each year because 43 years ago, in 1978, MacGregor held the first Women’s Day in Sonoma County.

“It is so important to understand that being a feminist doesn’t mean hating men, but to realize that us women are such strong people who make the world a better place when we stand together,” CHS Principal Laura Springer said. “It is important to recognize strong women and seek to help young women be who they want to be.”

With the extensive use of social media, many men and women use it to stand up for and show support for Women’s History Month. It has helped people from all around the world unite and work together for bigger causes and to capture the eye of a large scope of people. 

Watch The Sidekick staff photographer Nandini Muresh’s video to watch what Springer has to say about Women’s History Month and the impact of women in today’s society. 

Follow Nandini (@nandinimuresh) and @CHSCampus News on Twitter.