Track sets up to sweep competition

Olivia Cooper

Coppell sophomore relay sprinter Matthew Williams takes off for the 400-meter relay during the Coppell Relays at Buddy Echols Field on Feb. 27. Coppell hosts the annual Coppell Relays on Saturday at 8 a.m.

Torie Peck, Staff Writer

The Coppell track and field team is looking to keep a strong mindset as it prepares to host its third meet of the season, Coppell Invitational, today at Buddy Echols Field, starting at 3:30 p.m.

JV and varsity will compete simultaneously, as opposed to their typical two separate meets. Due to COVID-19 regulations, only six teams will be able to compete: Coppell, Highland Park, Celina, Frisco Reedy, Lewisville and Marcus.

Coming into today’s meet, Coppell is focusing on repetition, strength and running.

“We’ve been running a bunch and getting in shape to make sure we can get the [best results possible],” Coppell junior hurdler Rudra Raval said. “Getting in the right mindset, getting warmed up and being ready to run makes a [huge impact in scores].”

Coppell looks to take personal and school records in the race to district. With a shortened season due to inclement weather and District 6-6A Championships on April 8, every score matters for athletes who are looking to advance. 

“I beat my triple jump score from [Coppell Relays] at our previous meet [Prosper Relays],” Coppell sophomore jumper Kayleigh St. Peter said. “I want to PR in all three of my events, so I can see improvement compared to our last meets. I’m focusing on [my mindset by] getting a good night’s sleep, hydrating and eating right.”

Follow Torie (@torielpeck) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.