Boys soccer looks to snap losing streak

Coppell senior defensive midfielder Garret Greaves passes against Lewisville on Feb. 9 at Buddy Echols Field. The Cowboys host Plano tonight and Marcus tomorrow, kickoff at 7:30 p.m.

Torie Peck, Staff Writer

After last week’s grueling four match schedule which ended with a two-game loss streak, the Coppell boys soccer team has dropped to second place in District 6-6A, closely trailing Marcus, which holds sole possession of first. 

The Cowboys (10-7-1, 6-3 in District 6-6A) host Plano (10-6-1, 5-4) tonight and Hebron (3-9-2, 1-6-1) at Buddy Echols Field, kickoffs at 7:30 p.m.

The Cowboys played four games last week and plan on being well rested from the weekend.

“I don’t [expect] this week’s schedule to be as tiring,” Coppell sophomore forward Preston Taylor said. “We should be well rested after the weekend. We’ve been taking it easy and recovering from our game Friday.”

According to Taylor and Coppell senior forward Brandon Gast, the Cowboys are focusing on stepping into tackles, effective shooting and as well keeping high intensity from the start to end of a match, regardless of opposition. Having already played both Plano and Hebron, Coppell is coming into the game with knowledge of their tactics.

“Plano has a strong midfield and moves the ball well, they try to break out their outside defenders [as well],”  Gast. “With Hebron we found success with a diagonal ball past their outside defenders, so we’re going to try and do that again.”

Winning these matches is essential for the Cowboys to regain first place.

“The games [against Plano and Hebron] are very important,” Taylor said. “We’ve lost two games in a row which has affected our run for district title. These games could help put us back in the running for the title.”

The Cowboys, alongside their match against Plano tonight, will be closely following the simultaneous Flower Mound at Marcus game as wins for Coppell and Flower Mound would replant the Cowboys to sole possession of first. 

Follow Torie (@torielpeck) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.