District alters aspects of course registration for high school

Nanditha Nagavishnu

In the Coppell High School course registration process for the 2021-2022 academic year, there have been changes in the eligibility for courses and new requirements for students. As Coppell ISD students navigate this annual process, there are a few updates to be aware of.

Nanditha Nagavishnu, Staff Writer

As Coppell High School and Coppell High School Ninth Grade Campus students plan their courses and schedule for the 2021-2022 academic year, some have to take into consideration new changes in eligibility and requirements while registering for CHS and Dual Credit courses.

One shift has been CHS implementing prerequisites for a number of AP courses offered. Last year courses, such as AP biology, AP chemistry and AP physics. were listed in the course course guide with “recommended prerequisites” that encompassed the math skill levels needed for a successful completion of the advanced science course. This year, the courses teaching the prerequisite skills are listed as a requirement. This is a measure taken to ensure that students are prepared for the standards of AP courses before taking them.

“We feel like there’s a race going on to take as many AP courses as possible,” CHS Principal Laura Springer said. “[Students] have to get to the point where [they] have the support and knowledge needed for [AP courses]. We’re putting those prerequisites in place this year for students’ good, not because we’re trying to cut them out of taking high level courses. It’s because we want to make sure they have those skills for success.”

At a parent and student webinar regarding the registration process on Jan. 13, it was shared that incoming CHS juniors and seniors are required to take a release period. One reason for this addition is the strategic expenditure cuts entailed by the district’s higher budget deficit this year. A student needs 26 credits throughout high school to fulfill the most rigorous graduation program offered for Texas, and acquiring these credits is possible without filling every class period in a schedule.

“[With learners] taking as many electives as possible, we need more teachers to fill the classes,” Springer said. “If we can give you [a release period], we want to, but we will not make it hinder you from being part of a program. We want to let [students] have a challenging course load while still having a released period.”

This requirement has some exceptions. A student that has continually been taking double-blocked courses, is an IB Diploma Candidate, is completing a CTE pathway program or taking courses to satisfy an Arts and Humanities endorsement is exempt from the requirement. A learner moving from a different state or country is also exempt if utilizing all class periods is a necessity to meet the state graduation requirements.

Starting from the 2021-2022 school year, students are not permitted to select classes to complete two course requirements within a subject area in a single year. The requirements for an area should be completed in sequence instead.

“The reason I wanted to get [two science courses] done earlier is so I could take more advanced courses, like [AP] physics C, my senior year,” CHS9 freshman Tanya Nikam said. “I was planning to take both AP physics and honors chemistry to double up and challenge myself. Science is a field I might want to go to in the future, but I’m just going to learn from somewhere else. Even though it’s not as a credit, I will get the knowledge.”

In a decision resulting from administrative changes with Dallas County Colleges, LOTE credits earned from CISD schools will not count as prerequisites toward Dual Credit LOTE courses. North Lake College, where CHS students take their dual credit courses, is a part of Dallas County Colleges. This means that a learner who had planned to complete a language sequence by utilizing the dual credit opportunity will not be able to do so.

“I was about to take Spanish III in dual credit just because that was one of the options that I had,” CHS sophomore Diala Khader said. “That way, it was an option for a class to be removed. I was slightly upset because [the update] was last minute, but I know it wasn’t the school who made the decision.”

The information was released to students only a few days before initial course registrations were due for students because of the late change of course by DCC.

“[When the college] told us that they had changed the grandfather agreement, we had some constructive talks so they’re now reconsidering it,” Springer siad. “They don’t know for sure, but they are looking into it. It was not our choice. It makes it look like the school is making these regulations but we’re not.”

The last day to make schedule changes is April 1. Dual credit enrollment for summer and fall courses opened this Sunday and closes March 12.

Follow Nanditha Nagavishnu (@nanditha__n) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.