Lewisville snaps Cowgirls winning streak

Nick Larry

Coppell sophomore power forward Julianna Lamendola takes a shot against Lewisville at the CHS arena on Friday night. The Cowgirls were defeated by Lewisville with a close score of 32-29.

Avani Kashyap, Daily News/Assignment Editor

Coming with a threegame win streak, the Coppell girls basketball team hoped to add to its success, but lost to Lewisville 39-32.

Starting off slow 13-6 in the first quarter, Coppell only scored one point in the second quarter, with a score of 22-7 at halftime and 30-15 in the third quarter, before making a comeback in the fourth quarter.

Previously, the team had won three straight against Plano West, Marcus and Hebron.

“It was definitely a tough loss,” Coppell senior forward Chloe Hassman said. We were just really slow and our offense was really stagnant, which was disappointing, but we didn’t give up.”

Going into the game, the Cowgirls knew it would be tough because Lewisville’s Laila Lawrence is a contender for District 6-6A MVP. At the end of the third quarter, Lewisville had twice as many points as Coppell, but the Cowgirls scored 17 points in the fourth quarter and were able to narrow the lead.

“There was definitely an energy shift,” sophomore forward Jules Lamendola said. “There was a crucial moment where [freshman guard Isabella Spiller] took a charge on their best player, and we came alive and started working together and communicating more.”

To Hassman, the team needs to work on communication and consistency.

“We need to be more consistent,” Hassman said. “We know that if we come together and we’re all on the same page, we’re going to come on top. That’s why it’s been a frustrating season, because we know we can be very successful, but we have trouble keeping it that way 100% of the time.”

The Cowgirls play against Flower Mound in the CHS Arena on Friday at 6:30 p.m.