Math’s intersection with music equals Tandri’s Melodies for Math

Coppell+High+School+senior+Swetha+Tandri+composes+a+new+song+at+Andy+Brown+Park+East+on+Sunday.+Tandri+has+been+using+music+as+a+tool+to+teach+math+to+kids.+

Nick Larry

Coppell High School senior Swetha Tandri composes a new song at Andy Brown Park East on Sunday. Tandri has been using music as a tool to teach math to kids.

Sapna Amin, Staff Writer

Coppell High School senior and creator of Melodies for Math Swetha Tandri was a late talker, so at a young age, she used singing as a means of communication.

Tandri was previously featured for her environmental work, in which she mentioned composing an environmental song, which has now been completed. After composing the music accompanying her friend, and Sidekick staff writer, Anjali Vishwanath’s poem, she ended up with the song, “The Golden Oasis.” 

Tandri explains how this project acted as a gateway to Melodies for Math.

“Math is all around us and there is so much potential, but because school makes it answer oriented, many people feel turned off by it,” Tandri said. “During this project, I started thinking of math as a huge creative energy. My goal is to inspire others to find their own creative energies by using math as a tool to accomplish anything”

Tandri started Melodies for Math at the cusp of the COVID-19 pandemic, with hopes of helping classmates overcome the block that many have against math by presenting the subject in an entertaining way. 

“Some people might not have the same experiences or interest in math, which can make math seem foreign and therefore create a block,” AP statistics teacher Lowell Johnson said. “People are easily drawn to a story. Music tells [a] story they can connect with and hook them to learn more.”

According to Tandri, much of this process has to do with the way ears perceive sound. Tandri explains how she and many other people subconsciously tend to be drawn to patterns through music and the symmetry embedded into the chords. 

“Math relates to music more than people think,” CHS choir director Bona Coogle said. “We count and subdivide depending on the time signature and how many beats there are per measure. Counting gives the students an indication of how many beats per measure and the rhythm.”

Coppell High School senior Swetha Tandri creates a new song at Andy Brown Park East on Saturday. Tandri has been using music as a tool to teach math to kids. (Nick Larry)

When Tandri composes, she creates conflict among the notes to keep listeners on the edge of their seats until there is a harmonious resolution. Another technique she uses is progression and the build up of tempo until the pattern is completed and the music reaches its pinnacle. 

“I was so impressed when I first heard the songs because she’s a very talented singer and I’ve never had a student who has made songs about math,” Johnson said. “I’m proud of her courage to take that risk and create something.”

With every song comes a different process. However, each time, Tandri first thinks about the emotions she wants to evoke in the listener. This feeling is the core of the song and sets the tone. After that, in no particular order, she chooses the key signature, lyrics based on the lesson, instrumental parts and melody.

Finally, she records and puts it all together to complete the track. 

“The fact that she’s incorporating music, which she is not only good at but also passionate about, and finding different ways to help others is inspiring,” Coogle said. “It’s not everyday that you have a student who wants to genuinely help others.”

Tandri involves many of the connections and friends she has made through this project to get fresh input and ideas. Through her seven years of choir, it has given Tandri a solid community amidst change.

“Because of my experience with Melodies for Math, I’ve learned the importance of embracing vulnerability to make the difference you want to make,” Tandri said. “Melodies for Math has allowed me to step into the public eye because of promotions, takeovers and spreading the word about my project to test centers. Being an introvert, this was a huge step for me.”

Follow Sapna (@sapnaamin7) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.