District’s Adulting Day gives seniors an insight into life after graduation

Blanche Harris

Last Thursday, Coppell ISD seniors participated in Adulting Day, where they learned life skills and lessons to prepare them for life after high school. CISD teachers and alumni hosted virtual panels throughout the day, covering topics such as Cooking, Finance, Self Defense, and Auto Maintenance. Graphic by Blanche Harris

Avani Kashyap, Daily News/Assignment Editor

Self Defense. Cooking. Auto Maintenance.

These aren’t the typical skills one learns in high school. But last Thursday, Coppell ISD seniors got a break from their typical course load and participated in an atypical experience: Adulting Day.

During CISD’s second annual Adulting Day, seniors had the opportunity to create a personalized schedule and participate in a variety of panels intended to help them develop life skills after graduation. Instead of a regular school day, students attended eight virtual sessions where Coppell High School alumni advised them on college and career preparation.

Conceptualized by CHS Money Matters teacher Megan Mackin last year, the virtual nature of this year’s Adulting Day allowed it to expand its scope. CISD alumni from across the country sent recorded videos to share their insights, while current teachers hosted live Q&As to answer seniors’ questions.

“We had an insane amount of alumni say that they would like to help,” CHS associate principal Melissa Arnold said. “We got together with the district people and made it a CISD Adulting day, so New Tech @ Coppell is involved, Victory Place is involved, and CHS is involved.”

In addition to college advice, sessions such as personal finance and cooking allowed seniors to start developing life skills that are not taught in typical classes.

“I left my house when I was barely 18 years old having grown up on a farm my entire life,” Arnold said. “I had no idea what I was doing when I left. A day like this gives you a glimpse into what life outside of home could potentially be like.This is definitely something that should be taught in every subject, whether it be intentional or sprinkled in here and there.”

CHS class of 2007 alumna and AP chemistry teacher Courtney Crosby hosted a college life Q&A panel, answering questions about the academic and social challenges in college. After hosting a panel last year too, Crosby was appreciative of the increased accessibility of virtual sessions.

“There were so many positives with it being all virtual, because we had more exposure and were able to talk with panelists across the country,” Crosby said. “Coppell is a small community, but it has roots that go out into all directions in the world. I’m excited to see if we can somehow bring that aspect back in person.”

CHS senior Zeal Pathak particularly enjoyed participating in the self defense class, as the interactive approach encouraged her to learn new, useful skills and gain more perspective about what “adulting” entails. 

“A lot of times, what’s emphasized is just the education and the informational content, but a lot of these life skills are equally important because you have to apply them in the real world,” Pathak said. “It’s something I wish we put more of an emphasis on throughout high school.”

To Crosby, giving students the opportunity to develop and contemplate their future was a fulfilling experience, and she hopes to integrate more life lessons into academic courses.

“It’s important and we as a high school are here to give you more than just an academic experience,” Crosby said. “There’s more to life than textbooks and grades, and you should be able to find passions and ask questions.”.

Arnold never had the experience of an Adulting Day in high school, and looking back, she wishes there was a greater focus on such skills in the education system.

“Sometimes, you just need a day to not learn calculus,” Arnold said. “You need a day to learn some life tricks.”

Follow Avani @AvaniKashyap03 and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.