CHS graduate named as Teacher of the Year

Akhila Gunturu, CHS9 Editor

Yesterday, in the CHS9 Auditorium, ESL facilitator, newcomer English I and Reading I teacher Jessica Lynch was named as the 2020-21 CHS9 Teacher of the Year. 

Lynch was a finalist for Teacher of the Year alongside principles of health science teacher Bill Borowski and Spanish II teacher and golf coach Jason Spoor. All three were honored through a video and a certificate, and Lynch received flowers as well. 

“I was shocked, honored,” Lynch said. “This year’s been a hard year for everybody – kids, teachers, administrators, everybody. I was just surprised, excited and we all work so hard, so it’s nice to be recognized.”

Lynch, who has been teaching for 11 years, grew up in Coppell and attended Pinkerton Elementary, Coppell Middle School West and graduated from Coppell High School in 2006. 

“It means the world to me to be able to be recognized in the place where you grew up,” Lynch said. “Being recognized because you’re able to help change the lives of students, it’s really nice. It just means a lot, being from here, being a product of Coppell and showing what I can do here.”

Prior to becoming an ESL facilitator, Lynch was an English teacher. Lynch is also the co-chair of the Sunshine Committee at CHS9, which organizes events and gifts to support and bring cheer to staff and members of the campus. 

“She just has a natural ability to lead,” CHS9 Principal Kody Coontz said. “She has the ability to plan and understands how to create opportunities and scaffold them in a way that allows for their [students’] learning to be maximized. Her ability to connect with others in that way has been really invaluable for our campus.”

Lynch’s hard work and compassion is recognized within her own department as well. 

“She does anything she can to support people, and it truly does come from her heart,” CHS9 English I teacher Ashton Wright said. “I couldn’t think of a better person to win this honor.”

Follow Akhila (@akhila_gunturu) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.