Ultimate Frisbee intramural proves to be source of comradery, healthy competition

Frances Ruiz

It seems that getting into the game is no challenge for the players of Abusment Park, an intramural Ultimate Frisbee team comprised mostly of seniors, as their dedication, commitment and efforts this season enable them to be fierce competitors that are capable of winning, being the best and taking home the No. 1 spot. 

With roots dating to nearly three years ago, the Abusment Park team has proven to withstand not only intense competition amongst classmates, but the passage of time as well. The team’s founders, senior and co-captain members Andy Tabor and Blake Van Patten, remain the driving force behind Abusment Park. Not only has the duo led the team to multiple victories and successful seasons, but has kept the fun, spontaneity and liveliness associated with Abusment Park consistent throughout.

“My sister was involved in intramurals and really got me into it,” Van Patten said. “It’s cool to see, as well as play with, new and returning members each year.”

Although there are several Ultimate Frisbee teams within the intramural league, Abusment Park proves to be a worthy opponent as its players have snagged second place for the past three years running. As a team with first place to gain, members of Abusment Park hold high expectations of what this season will bring and what each player has to offer.

By maintaining positive attitudes, playing to the best of their abilities and most importantly, ensuring a fun time for all involved during each and every game, Abusment Park hopes to seize the championship title and call themselves the best.

Regardless of past records, Tabor strives to maintain an optimistic outlook on the outcome of this year’s season and overall team accomplishments.

“Even though we came in second place during the past couple of years, it’s still a really cool experience to continue winning this season,” Tabor said.

While other teams may take the need to win too far and unknowingly generate tension between players, Abusment Park maintains a level head when competing. Having met only once prior to the start of the season, the team evades any stressors by keeping the schedule light, as they only meet for games, and establishing a fun, competitive dynamic within the group. While these tactics and strategies may seem unconventional for a team wanting to place as number one, Abusment Park continues to focus on the most basic aspects of Ultimate Frisbee, healthy competition and an opportunity for fun, while allowing the wins to come to them.

Monstar team player and competitor Glenn Gomez easily recognizes the amount of spirit members of Abusment Park display on the field and their natural ability to win.

“It’s tough going against one of the top teams in the league because they don’t let winning get to them or psych them out,” Gomez said.

No matter the score at the end of the season, it seems as though Abusment Park and its players are bound to achieve success this spring as their competitive and positive attitudes, along with their efforts and knack for winning, have already begun to show excellent results.