Traditions persist despite homecoming changes

Samantha Freeman

Coppell High School Principal Laura Springer introduces the 2020 virtual homecoming pep rally in the Coppell indoor facility on Wednesday. The annual Homecoming pep rally was moved online due to COVID-19, and is available to watch today.

Shreya Beldona, Executive Enterprise Editor

For Coppell High School, homecoming is more than a dance. It is a week of celebration, where students dress up according to a different theme every day. It is the Friday pep rally, where seniors wear their overalls and students chant, “C-o-p-p-e-l-l, we are Cowboys hear us yell!”

While some students might choose to forgo the traditional homecoming dance for NOCO, this year there is no choice: the homecoming dance has been canceled. 

“I’m sad that [these cancellations] are happening now because when you are in your last year [of high school] you want to experience those [events] for the last time,” temporary senior student council vice president Emily Settle said. “I appreciate [the events] more.” 

The annual homecoming parade was canceled.  

“It is not the tradition we are used to,” Coppell High School Principal Laura Springer said. “We’re adapting to a new ‘us’ for a while.” 

I’m sad that [these cancellations] are happening now because when you are in your last year [of high school] you want to experience those [events] for the last time.

— Emily Settle

However, CHS has found a way to keep some of the traditions alive. The pep rally was recorded on Wednesday in the CHS indoor facility, featuring the Lariettes, cheerleaders and Coppell Band. The video was produced by KCBY.

The homecoming football game against Plano West tonight at 7 p.m. in Buddy Echols Field will be played in accordance with COVID-19 safety guidelines. The results of homecoming court nominations will also be released during the game. Students were given links to vote for court nominations through Schoology. 

“I would definitely advise kids to come, if they could, to the football game and wear your overalls or your nice dress clothes for homecoming with a mum [or garter],” Springer said.

Despite the absence of the dance and the parade, students are still looking forward to the game and personal NOCO events.

“I can tell there’s a shift in the energy [towards homecoming] because it’s different,” Settle said. “There’s still excitement for the game, and I know people have their own plans to do their NOCO.”

Follow Shreya (@BeldonaShreya) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.