Coppell looks earn second district win on homecoming night against Plano West

Lilly Gorman

Coppell senior Jason Ngwu is tackled by Plano defenders at John Clark Stadium on Oct. 23. Coppell plays Plano West tomorrow for its homecoming game at Buddy Echols Field at 7 p.m.

Meer Mahfuz, Co-Sports Editor

Coming off of last week’s 35-33 victory over Plano, Coppell escaped with a tight victory as Plano could not capitalize on six Cowboys turnovers. 

However, going into tomorrow’s Coppell (3-1 overall, 1-0 in District 6-6A) vs Plano West (3-1, 1-0) homecoming game at 7 p.m. in Buddy Echols Field, the Cowboys can not let that happen again because Plano West will likely take advantage of the mistakes.

Getting the little details right will be crucial for not only the Plano West game but for the rest of district play as well.

“We just have to execute on all three phrases [to get a complete game],” Coppell coach Michael DeWitt said.

Emphasized by the Plano win, the Cowboys have one area of concern coming off the last four wins: putting up a complete performance. Coppell senior quarterback Ryan Walker is looking forward to the offense having what he hopes is a turnover-free game.

“[I am going to] play hard, that’s all anyone can ask of me and that is what I am going to do, every play,” Walker said. “I’m not going to get frustrated and I am going to play one play at a time and leave it all out [on the field]. You never know, especially this year, when your last game is going to be and I am going to play every play like it’s my last.”

View through the Plano West lens: Coming to Coppell

Plano West has shown unmatched progress from prior years coming into this year, having won more games this year than the last four years combined. The introduction of Plano West coach Tyler Soukup saw the Wolves win one game. 

After a difficult first year, Soukup has improved on and implemented changes that now make Plano West a strong district competitor.

“Sometimes the changes that new head coaches make in programs take some time to take root,” Soukup said. “The young men in our program have really bought into [our message] and they’ve worked unbelievably hard through our offseason and through the summer. Through all that hard work, we are a better football team. We are faster, bigger, stronger and smarter in executing our game plan than a year ago.”

Similarly, Coppell earned four total wins in 2019 but could equal that win total with a victory on Friday.

“Our chemistry is 10 times better than it was last year,” Coppell junior offensive linemen Sammy Hernandez said. “We are just a family and we know our potential, we can be one of the best teams in our district. We are much older, we’ve grown tremendously from last year.”  

Coming into a homecoming crowd and having the homecoming energy can be a daunting task for any football team, regardless of stadium capacity limits, but it shouldn’t relatively affect Plano West throughout the game.

“Playing behind a great fan base is something that every team, every program and every kid enjoys, you can feed off of that energy and that momentum a little bit,” Soukup said. “[However], when you really get focused and locked in, whether you’re a coach or a kid, you forget what’s going on in the world around you.”    

Through the first four games played, Coppell’s offense, led by Walker, senior running back Jason Ngwu and senior wide receiver KJ Liggins, has averaged 37  points per game while Plano West’s defense has only allowed in a mere 14 points per game, highlighting a key matchup that may very well decide tomorrow’s game. 

With this week’s weather having provided both Coppell and Plano West with an unexpected change in pace and comfortability in practices throughout the week, the weather could play an important role in tomorrow’s game.

“Both DeWitt and I are both hoping for the same thing, that it’s a little bit warmer and certainly less wet on Friday, and that’s in the best interest of both football teams,” Soukup said. “[Both of us] want a good clean game, we want to play well and certainly bad weather can affect how well you play on both sides of the ball.” 

Regardless of all the prior mentioned conditions, this game looks the part on paper to be an exciting game to watch from the overall atmosphere, to the student section and to those at home, watching from the broadcast streams.

“It’s a big district matchup between two teams that had a great start and are 1-0 in district play,” Soukup said. “Both of these programs understand the significance of starting district play 2-0 and that brings some added excitement to [the game]. We are certainly excited to come over there and play Coppell.”

Follow Meer (@meer_mahfuz) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.