City Council approves reallocation of CARES Act funding for Coppell ISD

Josh Campbell

The City Council of Coppell recently held a meeting on Oct. 27. During the meeting topics such as CARES act funding to Coppell ISD, the declaration of Municipal Court week, and announcing construction to begin soon on Coppell intersections were discussed.

Anjali Vishwanath, Staff Writer

During Tuesday evening’s Coppell City Council meeting, the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act funding was amended. In addition to an increase in grant money for local businesses, the amendment allocated $70,594.56 for Coppell ISD. This aids students by paying for Wi-Fi buses in areas of Coppell with no access to Wi-Fi as well as updating campus Wi-Fi for in-person students.

CISD’s report followed reports from Carrollton/Farmers Branch ISD and Lewisville ISD. These reports center around COVID-19 concerns, such as district case tracking and the recent opportunity for virtual students to switch to in-person learning for the second nine-week grading period.

The council also approved Municipal Court Judge Kristine Primrose’s request for a proclamation naming Nov. 2-6 as “Municipal Court Week.” This proclamation followed Judge Primrose’s report from the municipal court, during which she took the time to appreciate the hard work of courthouse staff during a challenging software conversion from paper to virtual documents.

“I am happy to report that your municipal court is not just surviving, but it is thriving,” Judge Primrose said. “We went from using not one Word document to using thousands.”

Following the judge’s report, the City Council approved new furniture, fixtures and equipment for Rolling Oaks Memorial Center. After some deliberation, they also approved a renewal of a contract for holiday decorations for the city. These decorations include holiday lighting for bridges and buildings in Coppell.

Following the approval of a bid and the city manager reports detailing upcoming road construction on intersections in Coppell, the mayor delivered her report. Mayor Karen Hunt’s report recounted current events in the city, and more specifically explaining the early voting taking place at various polling stations. Councilmember Brianna Hinajosa-Smith’s subsequent report on Coppell ISD alerted voters of the school board seats on the bottom of the ballots.

Follow Anjali (@viola_swan) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.