Local witches taking to streets with Halloween treats

The+Witches+Ride%2C+a+bicycle+group+of+local+residents+distributing+candy+tonight%2C+will+travel+around+Coppell+tonight+and+make+23+stops.+The+ride+was+planned+by+Coppell+citizens+wanting+to+have+a+safe+way+to+trick-or-treat+this+year.+

Blanche Harris

The Witches Ride, a bicycle group of local residents distributing candy tonight, will travel around Coppell tonight and make 23 stops. The ride was planned by Coppell citizens wanting to have a safe way to trick-or-treat this year.

Tracy Tran, Photo Assignment Editor

This evening, around 15 Coppell residents will ride their bicycles around streets in Coppell, giving candies to both kids and teenagers for Halloween. With approximately 120 kids at 24 different homes, the Coppell residents, who call themselves the witches, will bike for a total of 10 miles for a Witches Ride. 

“We’re gonna throw candy to those kids and if there’s any other kids in the neighborhood that are out, we’ll include them, too,” Coppell resident Katy Willey said. “[We want to] spread some cheer in the neighborhood and make everybody really excited about Halloween even though it’s not the same as it always is.”

The Witches Ride starts at 5 p.m., with the witches starting their route on Oak Trail, near Coppell High School.

“I hope [the kids are] excited and I hope it’s fun for them,” Willey said. “Some of the families coming by aren’t going to go trick-or-treating and so this is their [opportunity] to put on the costume.”

The idea for Witches Ride was created from the love for biking in a group of Coppell residents.

“I have a couple of friends that I’ve been biking with for exercise,” Willey said. “I just thought ‘Why don’t we dress up as witches and bike around, throw candy at kids and we can be safe because we’re far away from them?’”

Follow Tracy (@AnhImtracy) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.