• George Coffee + Provisions set to open this spring in Old Town Coppell.

• 2017-18 Teen Leadership Coppell applications now available at www.teenleadershipcoppell.com.

• Coppell boys and girls soccer teams take on Lakeview Centennial in bi-district playoffs on Friday at Highland Park

Celebrating self love on Valentine’s Day

Finding the key to your own heart

Coppell High School senior Briana Thomas visits local flower shop in Coppell. Thomas contemplates how to practice self love on Valentine’s Day, while shopping for flowers and chocolate on Feb. 14, Valentine’s Day.

A holiday that celebrates romantic love can often be brutal for those who are single.  

A statement that with just a little courage, a little chocolate and lots of self love I was able to prove wrong.

As a woman who proudly flaunts single life, the idea that singles would be left sad, at loss or incomplete on Valentine’s Day left me discontented. Is the celebration of love so limited? Is it possible that loving oneself could be equally as glorified as loving a partner?

Love yourself on a day celebrating the ones you love. It did not sound hard, until I actually tried to do it.

First stop: Flowers

A blossoming relationship….with myself.

I have never understood the allure of receiving flowers. That is, until I went and purchased some myself.

The act of purchasing or gifting something for myself had never felt so foreign than when I was standing alongside lovestruck individuals. Aisles that once were inviting now intimidated me. While husbands, wives, boyfriends and girlfriends scrambled to choose the perfect bouquet for their partners, I felt as if I was left with the most difficult task: treating myself.

But why?

Although I was not originally a fan of floral expressions of love, there was a certain empowerment in buying something beautiful for myself without having someone to buy it for me.

With roses and a bag of chocolate in my hands, I found myself leaving with a newfound happiness. A new relationship had begun to blossom. With none other than myself.

Second stop: Food

The greatest gift to receive: a full stomach.

A lavish, candlelight dinner is a popular norm where food is concerned on Valentine’s Day. But if I was to truly indulge, I felt it was only appropriate to make a stop at my favorite pizzeria. So after calling up an old friend and dressing up a little too formal, I headed out for a night of good pizza, small conversation and love.

My expectation of receiving judgmental glances sitting in a room full of couples was disproven. People were only concerned about two things at the moment: love and pizza.

I was reminded that Valentine’s Day celebrates love of all kinds. Whether you’re giving yourself love, or sharing it – it is all love and it is all welcomed.

Third stop: Home

Me, myself and I.

I ended my journey with two simple things: my laptop and my dog, Luna. It may not be glamorous but with some Netflix and alone time, my mission felt accomplished.

I have learned that in spite of the extreme focus society places on romantic relationships during Valentine’s Day, I am more than adequate celebrating it on my own. In fact, by spending it alone I have learned that loving yourself is not only essential to your well being, but also your ability to spread love to others.

So I propose a new mission: to make everyday, not just Valentine’s Day, a shameless celebration of self love.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Celebrating self love on Valentine’s Day”

1. Meara Isenberg on February 15th, 2017 8:09 pm

This was an great take on Valentine’s Day Briana! I always enjoy reading your opinions. 🙂

[Reply]

2. Saira on February 15th, 2017 9:47 pm

Ah this story came out great :))

[Reply]

3. Meha Srivastav on February 16th, 2017 3:43 pm

Haha this actually turned out good briana

[Reply]

• Celebrating self love on Valentine’s Day

Opinions

Spring break spent without my phone introduced many benefits

Opinions

Working with a team when you hate team spirit

Opinions

Worried about surviving Prom? Use these important insights to drive your parents and friends crazy.

Opinions

Don’t judge a school by its title: considering community college route after high school (with video)

Opinions

Leadership is more than a title: common traits of student leaders at CHS

Opinions

Dressing nice to observe changes in attitude, feeling, outlook on life

Opinions

We are not meant to become robots

Opinions

Silence can be louder than words: the benefits of being introverted

Opinions

Germany Reacts: International review of President Donald Trump’s first few weeks in office

Opinions

Finding acceptance within yourself (with video)