Image and video hosting by TinyPic" />

Hear ye! Hear ye! Madrigals prepare for feast Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Story by Natalie Hill, centerspread editor
Video by Kelly Marshall, KCBY staff member

As the holiday season comes nearer by the day, as does the 15th annual CHS Madrigals’ Feast. Dressed in early 16th century clothing, full with tights, frock and cap, knights with armor and the usual court jester, Madrigals performs songs of the Renaissance age. The preparations of this feast are beginning to pile up as the date rapidly approaches.

The feast includes a show performed by the choir, song, meal, and “merriment”. This year’s show, “A Christmas Fruitcake and Other Weighty Matters” is based around a party thrown by the King and Queen with a chaotic plot.

Choir director Jeffrey Schulz directs Madrigals as they prepare for the 15th Annual Feast.

Though the feast is a different show every year, this year’s show differs from the past in that there are a greater number of characters, all with large roles.

“It’s different in how it’s set up,” Madrigals captain senior Dinah Smith said. “There are more characters, which gives everyone a chance to shine, the feast is really building now and we’re getting stronger as a choir and building as a team.”

With everyday in-class rehearsals, Madrigals have been preparing the musical portion of the production alone. Rehearsals that take place every Thursday after school in the choir hall have, so far consisted of a mostly vocal overview of what has been learned of the feast so far. Beginning this Thursday, Nov. 5, however, the choir will begin on the actual scripted portion of the show and begin with dialogue, stage direction and choreography.

“There’s a song that we have that, when you see it on paper, it’d seem like the notes would clash but when we sing it, it has a really cool overtone,” senior Christian Shanks sad. “It’s really eerie.”

The rehearsal schedules and time spent together has brought the choir closer, according to Smith.

“Blocking the script with the choir has been my favorite part of preparing for the feast, I think,” senior Grayson Hollis said. Hollis will be playing the role of the King in this year’s feast.

The feast is on Friday, Dec. 4 and Saturday, Dec. 5 in the Coppell High School Commons. Tickets must be pre-bought and reservations must be made ahead of time. Tickets are $25 for adults and $20 for students. Tickets are sold by Madrigals members or you can reserve your seat with the reservation form. Go to http://chschoirboosters.org/ for more information.