Coppell High School to host Voter Registration Drive this Saturday

Blanche Harris

The Voter Registration Drive is Saturday at Coppell High School. The district is providing an opportunity to register to vote for the upcoming election in November. Graphic by Blanche Harris.

Avani Kashyap, Daily News/Assignment Editor

On Saturday, Coppell High School will host a Voter Registration drive from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. for students and members of the community.

U.S. citizens who reside in Dallas County are eligible to register in the upcoming drive. Students must also be at least 17 years and 10 months old to register and 18 years old to be able to vote on Election Day, which is Nov. 3.

The drive will take place in the CHS student parking lot, and individuals must know their driver’s license or remember the last four digits of their Social Security number.

“It’s just a last minute effort to get people who are not registered the opportunity to register to vote,” CHS associate principal Melissa Arnold said. “In the past, we’ve had a voter registration table set up in the main hallway, and social studies classes brought down anybody who was eligible to register. This year, we want to make sure that our remote learners also have the same opportunity that our in person learners have.”

CHS Student Council members and Red Jackets are helping coordinate the event and have the opportunity to volunteer during the drive.

“We will be directing traffic and making sure everything goes smoothly,” CHS senior Red Jacket Makaylie Montague said. “Giving people the opportunity to register is a good way to get everyone involved in the voting process.”

The last date to register is Oct. 5, so the drive on Saturday is one of the last chances to do so. To Arnold, registering to vote is an important way to maintain your civic duty to your country.

“It’s one of your rights as a citizen of the U.S., so you want to make sure you’re taking advantage of that and making sure your voice counts in the election process,” Arnold said. “Hopefully we’ll have a good turnout, and people will come.”