How to protect yourself from swine flu

By Ashley Attanuci

The dreaded words –swine flu- has wiggled its way into students’ vocabularies this year and fortunately, not their bodies. Although to some students the flu seems to be nothing but a fallacious scare, the possibility of it becoming an epidemic is something that students and faculty should be concerned about especially in a high-traffic zone like Coppell High School.

For those who don’t know, swine flu is a virus that attacks the respiratory system. Symptoms include:
• upper respiratory congestion
• tired or run-down feeling
• coughing
• congestion and/or sore throat
• body and/or skin aches

The symptoms of the swine flu are similar to those of avian flu, set apart from the common cold which confers no body aches.

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommends flu shots and the regular use of alcohol-based hand sanitizer (look for the big jugs of hand sanitizer in the library, the commons and computer labs). Coppell High School’s Nurse Dorn recommends keeping door knobs and computers clean, avoiding touching your face or nose with hands, avoiding people that are coughing, coughing into your sleeve not your hands, getting plenty of rest and eating right. Further, if you are sick with a fever (100.4 or above), stay home because that is when the flu is contagious. Lysol wipes should be provided by classrooms, especially those with computers.

“Good ol’ hand washing –it’s the best thing you can do to prevent sickness,” says Nurse Dorn. For tips for sufficient hand washing, check the mirrors and doors of the bathroom nearest you!

swine flu mapSo far, Coppell High School has 1 reported case of the swine flu and 3 cases of the flu.

Go to http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/updates/us/ to stay updated.
For more prevention tips: http://www.ehow.com/how_4933164_prevent-swine-flu.html

1