Lilly Gorman

Coppell High School senior Ritesh Dontula is co-captain of the varsity swim team and ranked third in the class of 2020. Dontula plans to double major in Biochemistry and Molecular cell biology at Rice University.

Ritesh Dontula

What is your approach to studying?

I like to compartmentalize my time based on what homework I have for certain subjects on a specific day. To facilitate this, I will rest for a bit then spend 30 minutes on homework for each class and then use the remaining time to study for tests, quizzes as well as to relax. 

What advice do you have for staying motivated throughout high school?

My motivation personally stemmed from my friend group, who were all quite motivated in school. I think that finding the right kind of friends can provide the right atmosphere and certain influence to compel people to do better.

What is the biggest misconception about students ranked in the top 10?

In general I would assume people think that students in the top 10 don’t spend time doing any extracurriculars because all their time is spent studying. This is false, as top 10 students have passions and do balance their time in a way to study and pursue what they want.

What is your favorite way to de-stress during high school?

Generally, when I get home I like to relax by getting a snack and watching videos on YouTube. But when it comes to relieving some stress, I like to sketch something. People have hobbies that help them to destress and think clearly which is quite helpful in a highly competitive academic environment, so being able to have a quiet time to just draw whatever has been quite helpful.

What is your advice for students who are also aiming to be in the top 10?

Being in the top 10 requires a lot of hard work, and obviously spots are limited.One shouldn’t be disappointed if they aren’t in the top 10. I have found that rank is not that important – colleges want to see a student’s passions and extracurriculars. That doesn’t mean that academics isn’t important but that it isn’t the end-all be-all when it comes to the big picture.

Follow Sarah @Sarah.hab1 and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.