Recently, my family made it a goal to eat healthier. Even as vegetarians, there are so many “unhealthy” junk foods that are available. Rather than cutting out all these types of foods, I wanted to make smaller, more sustainable changes to my lifestyle.
Even before my diet changed to plant-based, I still was questioned as to how I would get enough protein in my diet. Yet, I believe that it is not nearly as hard as people make it out to be.
These vegan, gluten free pancakes pack in almost 18 grams of protein and still have the same fluffiness and tenderness to satisfy any cravings for pancakes.
Serving size: Makes four pancakes
- ½ cup garbanzo or chickpea flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp of stevia, sugar or sugar substitute
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp of soy milk (or any plant-based milk)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pancake topping of choice (such as maple syrup, fruits and chocolate chips)
- Whisk dry ingredients (chickpea flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and stevia/sugar/sugar substitute) until thoroughly combined.
- Add soy milk and vanilla extract and whisk until the batter reaches a thick yet pourable consistency. A few small lumps is normal.
- To a nonstick skillet on medium heat, pour 1/3 cup of batter onto skillet.
- Flip pancakes once the tops go from glossy to matte and form bubbles.
- Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Finish cooking until you are out of batter.
- Serve with your favorite pancake toppings and enjoy!