Cowgirls look to build off 8-0 win

Coppell+junior+defender+Chloe+Pham+passes+during+the+match+on+Tuesday+against+Marcus+at+Buddy+Echols+Field.+The+Cowgirls+face+District+6-6A+leader+Flower+Mound+tomorrow+at+7%3A30+p.m.+at+Buddy+Echols+Field.+

Sally Parampottil

Coppell junior defender Chloe Pham passes during the match on Tuesday against Marcus at Buddy Echols Field. The Cowgirls face District 6-6A leader Flower Mound tomorrow at 7:30 p.m. at Buddy Echols Field.

Sally Parampottil, Executive Sports Editor

The sting of the Cowgirls’ first loss of the season to Marcus was lessened with an 8-0 victory over Irving on Friday. Now, the Coppell girls soccer team faces the District 6-6A leader, Flower Mound, tomorrow at Buddy Echols Field at 7:30 p.m. 

The Jaguars (5-0-0 in district play) are coming off a 1-0 defeat of Marcus. Coppell is tied with Hebron with a 3-1-1 district record, though the Cowgirls have a better overall record, 9-1-1. 

“I’m pretty nervous,” Coppell sophomore midfielder Bailey Peek said. “I really don’t know how it will go. This year, the district is really mixed. Last year, we won every game, no question about it. This year, Hebron beat Marcus and we lost to Marcus and we tied Hebron, it’s all been mixed.”

The win over Irving, while a major confidence booster, also served as a catalyst for a change in playing style. 

“[Coppell coach Ryan Dunlevy] has taught the team the last four years a certain style of play of being wide,” Peek said. “Now, he’s changing so we’re more in the middle and a little more spaced out wide. That can be different. We haven’t had a lot of time to practice it, so I don’t really know how it’s going to go.” 

Follow Sally (@sparampottil) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.