Photo courtesy Coppell boys basketball

The Coppell basketball team placed third at the Allen Holiday Invitational Basketball Tournament from Dec. 26-30 at the Allen High School Gymnasium. The Cowboys play Irving tomorrow at 1 p.m. in the CHS Arena.

Boys Basketball

Coppell boys basketball entered the new year after losing by one point to Lewisville in the first District 6-6A game of the season, 62-61, on Jan. 3. 

The Cowboys beat Marcus in their second district game on Tuesday night, 72-43. 

The Cowboys placed third at the Allen Holiday Invitational Basketball Tournament at the Allen High School Gymnasium from Dec. 26-30.

Coppell is 17-4 overall and 1-1 in district.

Coppell is currently seventh in Class 6A Region I, 13th in Texas and 66th in the nation. The Cowboys hope to sustain their position and work toward success at the regional and state levels.

“We need to focus on the little things in the game,” Coppell senior center Payton Rosenbaum said. “[Coppell] works really well together as a team, we don’t just rely on one talented player like a lot of other teams do…We prioritized working on defense over [winter break] and plan to bring our practice into the new year.”

The Cowboys play Irving tomorrow in the CHS Arena at 1 p.m. 

“We treat every game the same and put in the same high level of effort,” Rosenbaum said. “We work hard in practice, get our heads in the right space, take care of our bodies and watch film to improve what we can.”

Follow Emma (@emmameehan_) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.