CHS9+student+Tavishka+Arora+was+voted+Student+Council+president.+Arora+decided+to+run+for+the+position+to+contribute+to+the+development+of+a+new+school.+

Camila Flores

CHS9 student Tavishka Arora was voted Student Council president. Arora decided to run for the position to contribute to the development of a new school.

Tavishka Arora

Being a freshman can be daunting. However, this does not stop CHS9 Student Council president Tavishka Arora. Though the year has just begun, she already has plans to make the freshman class closer than ever before. 

Why did you run for student council?

In middle school, I was a member of Student Council and an officer for National Junior Honor Society. Because CHS9 is such a new school and only in its second year, I thought it would be fun to be a part of developing [the school] and starting new traditions.

What does your job entail?

As president, I will make sure the other officers are doing their jobs, as well as creating meeting agendas and leading those meetings. I also send out reminders to members [about] volunteering opportunities.

What are your plans as president for the 2019-20 school year?

The officers and I are planning on starting a philanthropy project, though it is still in progress. We also encourage our members to volunteer more, so we have already sent out some volunteering opportunities for them.

What are you most excited to do as part of student council this year?

I’m most excited to get to know everyone and make new friends. For StuCo it is not only the officers, but the members themselves that help put everything into action. Overall, I just want to get to know everyone and create bonds.

Why is student council is important?

It’s important to have good leadership qualities in life, and it is also a fun way to create new friendships. Being a part of StuCo allows you to get involved with the school as well. 

What have you learned as president?

It is really important to be organized and do things on time because there are many people that depend on what I am doing. [StuCo has] also taught me how to be a leader, [how to] be considerate of everybody’s opinions and make sure they feel included. 

Follow Nanette (@nanettepottoore) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.