Q&A: Caswell brings professional drum corps experience to high school students

Liza Martinez

Coppell High School associate director of bands Adrian Caswell actively listens to head band director Gerry Miller as he discusses their trip to St. Louis at the CHS Band Hall on Wednesday. The CHS Marching Band will perform at Bands of America Super Regional in St. Louis on Oct. 19.

Meer Mahfuz, Staff Writer

Coppell High School associate director of bands Adrian Caswell leads with a background of professional experience in teaching drum corps. While only officially working for The Cadets, a drum and bugle corps based in Allentown, Pa.

Caswell has consulted with the visual staff of Carolina Crown and was previously offered the Visual Caption Head at the Blue Coats, two world class drum corps.

As a musician, Caswell performed in the University of Texas Wind Ensemble and The Cadets Drum and Bugle Corps. Prior to Coppell, Caswell was the associate director of bands at Wakeland High School in Frisco ISD.

How long have you been conducting and directing band performances? Why did you decide to start conducting and directing bands?

I’ve been a high school band director since 2007. In [Westwood] high school [in Austin] , I would listen to instrumental music for two to three hours a night before going to sleep. My senior year when deciding between mechanical engineering and music, I couldn’t imagine my life without music. The decision was easy. [Furthermore], the inspirational experiences I had with bands and orchestras around the country were things I wanted others to experience as well.

What do you like most about directing band?

I love seeing the students after their final performance. The shine in their eyes says it all. The months [and] years of hard work pays off in a big way and the impact made transfers to the rest of their lives.  Seeing this growth in our students is incredibly rewarding.

What skills do you hope your students will gain from band?

Music teaches so many life skills. We look to help each other rather than ignore and be frustrated. We learn resilience, understanding that our personal best is a step in the long road of personal improvement. We learn to be better teammates by sacrificing for what’s best for the team.; waking up early on Saturday morning to be there for your friends when you’re sore and would rather sleep in.  Our students learn to handle adversity with the support of their closest friends nearby.

What do you like outside of band?

As an [alumni of the University of Texas at Austin], I love the Texas Longhorns. [I have] a deep appreciation for music as it’s a wonderful part of my life outside of school hours. Also, I love hanging out with my family, eating and being outside.

Follow @meer_mahfuz on Twitter