Connecting art with societal change: Dance to Make a Difference to host annual recital

Bailey Lai

On Wednesday, the Dance to Make A Difference Club is hosting its annual recital fundraiser in the Coppell High School commons. All proceeds go to the organization Giffords: Courage to Fight Gun Violence.

Karen Lu, Staff Writer

Tonight at 6:30 p.m., the lights dim in the Coppell High School Commons. The crowd hushes, and music starts to echo throughout the room.

Members from Dance to Make a Difference are hosting their annual recital Wednesday, showcasing dances they have been preparing the entire school year. From contemporary to hip hop, Bollywood to classical dance, the club members are performing several different genres.

As the name suggests, Dance to Make a Difference is not only about expression through dance. The latter half of the name indicates something larger, something more impactful. Every year, members decide on an organization to donate all profits made from ticket sales.

This year, Dance to Make a Difference is focusing on gun control, choosing to allocate their funds to Giffords: Courage to Fight Gun Violence. Last year, they raised money for one of the largest immigrant youth-led networks, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA).

“We realize there’s been a lot of gun shootings lately in the past few months,” CHS senior Dance to Make a Difference co-president Mourya Yerramreddy said. “We really wanted to focus on something everyone can connect to and everyone would be willing to be a part of and make a difference in.”

Tickets are $5, and the recital is expected to end approximately at 7:30 p.m.

Follow Karen @_karenlu_