Local fans not entertained by Super Bowl LIII

On Sunday, the New England Patriots faced the Los Angeles Rams for Super Bowl LIII. The underwhelming game ended in a score 13-3 Patriots, making it the the lowest scoring Super Bowl in history.

Bella Mora

Bella Mora

Bella Mora

Christie Hernandez, Staff Writer

Last night, the biggest night in television, and in football, was held for audiences from all around the world. The Super Bowl LIII, consisted of low scoring, strong defense and a halftime show featuring Maroon 5 and Travis Scott.

Aside from the game, a 13-3 New England victory over the Los Angeles Rams, was the long-awaited halftime show and many commercials which did not get the support and audience that was expected.

“The halftime show and commercials fell very short of my expectations because nothing really stuck out to me,” Coppell High School junior Matthew Dao said. “It was the same old same old, and it seems that the commercials are getting cheesier as the years go on.”

Along with singers, the halftime show consisted of a short clip from the animated show “SpongeBob Squarepants,” to pay respect to the series whose founder passed away last year. The tribute lasted about five seconds which brought many to think it was displayed as a cash grab rather than a true tribute.

Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman was named this year’s Most Valuable Player with 10 catches for 141 yards. Edelman’s MVP comes after a severe knee injury last season.  

Although Patriot fans are ecstatic over the team’s sixth Super Bowl win, some Coppell fans are ready for a new NFL champion.

“I thought the game was mostly boring and there wasn’t much that caught my eye,” CHS junior Steven Luenser said. “I feel like if there had been different teams playing like the Eagles or the Saints, it would have been more enjoyable. The Patriots are kind of getting old.”

The defensive struggle did not excite viewers, either.

“I thought the game was interesting because the defense was surprisingly good this time,” CHS junior Rohil Verma said. “Aside from the defense, the worst part was how low the scoring was.”

Not only are fans hoping an improved form of entertainment next year, but a victory from a team other than the Patriots.

Christie Hernandez, Staff Writer

Christie is a junior and a first-year staff writer for The Sidekick newspaper. In her free time, she enjoys singing, baking and spending time with friends....

Bella Mora, Staff Designer

Bella Mora is a junior and second year graphic designer on The Sidekick. In her free, time she enjoys listening to music, watching movies and drawing....

1 Comment

One Response to “Local fans not entertained by Super Bowl LIII”

1. Ryan Kim on February 8th, 2019 10:00 am

Speaking of the brief clip from “SpongeBob Squarepants”, many people were expecting to find a full performance of the iconic song “Sweet Victory”.
    In fact, a change.org petition requesting “Sweet Victory” to be played garnered over 1.2 million signs (including mine). And especially with the fact that it was supposed to be a tribute for the late Stephen Hillenburg, and only ended up becoming an opening sequence for “Sicko Mode”(which some people thought was a sub-par performance from Travis Scott), of course many people were enraged, seeing it as not only a cash grab, but a complete disregard of a full tribute for Hillenburg. The rather unsatisfying, very brief clip from “SpongeBob Squarepants” is the likely the reason why the Super Bowl half-time show YouTube video gained more than 780,000 dislikes, compared to only 115,000 likes.