Cowboys fall to Lewisville in rematch

Coppell+freshman+Ryan+Agarwal+handles+the+ball+on+Tuesday+Jan+22+at+CHS+arena.+The+Coppell+Cowboys+lost+to+the+Lewisville+Farmers+71-57.+

Neveah Jones

Coppell freshman Ryan Agarwal handles the ball on Tuesday Jan 22 at CHS arena. The Coppell Cowboys lost to the Lewisville Farmers 71-57.

Nicholas Pranske, Executive Sports Editor

On Tuesday, Lewisville handed the Coppell boys basketball team its first District 6-6A loss, 71-57, at the Coppell High School arena.

Although the Cowboys went into the game with a victory over the Farmers already under their belts, they knew it would not be an easy addition to the win column. Last time the two teams met, Coppell overcame a deficit to send the game to overtime and won it.

However, something was different for the Cowboys this time.

“We had a lack of intent and a lack of focus,” Coppell coach Clint Schnell said. “You know, I could come up with a bunch of different excuses, but we just weren’t ready to play.”

The Farmers took this to their advantage early on to grab a 17-10 lead at the end of the first quarter.

Although Coppell’s comeback attempts would ebb and flow – getting closer to catching up, then falling back again – it was never able to fully make up the deficit.

At half time, the Cowboys trailed, 34-22.

“Going into practice this week, we can of have to refocus and regroup and reassess where you want to be,” Schnell said. “I don’t think this will wreck our season, but it was definitely humbling to lose a district game.”

Despite the loss, the Cowboys are still atop the district standings at 7-1. Lewisville is trailing closely behind at 6-2.

“Going forward, we still control our own destiny,” Schnell said. “There were good things that came out of this game and we have to focus on those. When you’re at the top, getting a dent in your armour makes you realize where you are and it gets your tenacity back.”

The Cowboys play again tomorrow at 8 p.m. against Marcus in their next district game.