Coppell Tipoff Showcase allows students, teachers to get out of class

Camila Flores

Coppell senior Trejan Campbell goes up for a basket during the game against Tyler Lee in the main gym on Thursday, Nov 15. The Cowboys defeated the Lee Raiders 63-49.

Sally Parampottil, Staff Writer

Coppell High School is hosting the Coppell Tipoff Showcase through Saturday in the main gym and CHS arena. This event allows teams from as far as San Antonio and Katy to compete in the three day tournament.

This event also allows for students and teachers to leave class to watch the games.

The only requirements are that the students have created a Bulb in third period and watched the police interaction video in their seventh period. They must also have their ID badges to enter and leave the games.

Multiple teachers have either allowed their students to leave class or brought all their students down together. Other students go to watch during their lunch period.

Kirk Richardson’s entire third period Honors Geometry class went to the game. After a short lesson in the beginning of the period, the class went to small gym to watch the Coppell-Tyler Lee game.

“[The students] were very excited,” Richardson said. “They wanted to come and support the program.”

Some classes has a number of students who were playing in the games. English IV teacher Courtney Orloff allowed her class to watch the Coppell-Tyler Lee game for just that reason.

“I brought my class out because a lot of kids in my class are either playing or know someone who is playing,” English IV teacher Courtney Orloff said. “I just wanted to support the Cowboys. There aren’t that many opportunities to team build and get out of the classroom and take a break. I’m very excited to see the boys play outside of the classroom.”

The championship is 5 p.m. on Saturday in the CHS arena.