Setting goals, meeting expectations: parents attend Open House with clear minds

Disha Kohli

Coppell High School Principal Dr. Nicole Jund helps a parent navigate the halls of CHS during open house on Tuesday night. Open House is an opportunity for parents to walk through their child’s schedules and meet their teachers.

Anika Arutla, Staff Writer

On Tuesday night, parents rushed from one side of the school to the other, parallelling the hustle and bustle of the typical school environment.

For one night, teachers meet their students’ parents. Red Jackets stood at staircases and along the interior of the main hallway, while counselors welcomed parents at the entrances.  

Parents visited each classroom for 10 minutes and spent five minutes scurrying from one class to another.

“When we open our doors to parents and community members, it makes a big difference for them to come in and see what we’re doing everyday,” CHS counselor Karen Raddatz said. “It’s important for us to be as open and transparent as possible.”

The key reasoning behind Open House is so parents can understand the teachers’ expectations and the environment the students are in for almost eight hours of the day. In addition, they are able to connect with the administrators and staff, which may seem like a barrier, considering the size of the school.

“[Open House] is really beneficial, especially getting times of tutorials and suggestions to help them become better students,” CHS parent Becky Wall said. “I expect confidence in the subjects and I expect students to have more responsibilities as they progress through the school year.”

Teachers spent the night displaying presentations and setting goals for not only the entire class but also the individual students.

A major change from last year to this year is the opening of CHS9, the newly-built freshman center.

“I already think there’s a really positive vibe in the school [CHS],” instructional coach Derryl Lee said. “Having less students physically on the campus has really affected both emotionally and socially how people are interacting.”

Along with meeting teachers, parents had the opportunity to see the various clubs their children are involved in, including Student Council and HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America).