Telugus from across America unite at Irving Convention (with video)

Pramika Kadari, Copy Editor

Dancers perform a traditional Indian dance at the 2018 American Telugu Convention (ATC) on June 2 at the Irving Convention Center. The 2018 ATC was organized by the American Telugu Association (ATA) and the Telangana American Telugu Association (TATA).

IRVING – Last weekend, the Irving Convention Center was filled with colorful decorations, lively music and thousands of people.

Since the early 1990s, the American Telugu Association (ATA) has been working to help people of Telugu origin in North America. Its goals include preserving Telugu heritage, helping Telugu people settle into

North America and raising funds for the less fortunate. Every two years, the ATA holds a convention to unite Telugus from across the United States with its most recent one held from May 31 – June 2.

This year’s American Telugu Convention (ATC) was unique because it was a combined effort by both ATA and the Telangana American Telugu Association (TATA), which was formed much more recently. By working together, ATA and TATA saved both money and time.

The main purpose of the convention is to unite people of the same heritage from all over the country. Many attendees stayed in the Marriott hotel nearby for the duration of the event.

“I decided to be apart of ATA because many Telugu people from everywhere celebrate here, so it gives me happiness,” ATC committee member Viene La said. “It’s a big time commitment helping [with the ATA] but it’s worth it.”

Many activities and cultural programs took place at the ATC, including singing, dance competitions and games for children. Several different styles of dances were featured, from modern to traditional.

“I have a passion for dancing, so my friends and I thought dancing at the ATA would be a good opportunity,” ATC performer Samyuktha Muvvala said. “Usually we have class once a week for two hours, but since we wanted this dance to be perfect, for the last week we had three hours of practice every day.”

On the last day of the convention, Illinois Congressman Raja Krishnamoorthi visited and spoke to the crowd; his speech revolved around inspiring Telugu people to reach for their dreams.

About the Contributor
Pramika Kadari, Copy Editor

Pramika Kadari is a junior and the Copy Editor on The Sidekick. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, watching movies and spending time with friends. Her favorite book is Ender’s Game and she is a big fan of Supernatural. With comments and concerns, contact her @pramika_kadari or [email protected]

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Telugus from across America unite at Irving Convention (with video)”

1. Isha on June 13th, 2018 4:32 pm

so cool!

2. Pramika Kadari on June 14th, 2018 1:23 pm

Haha love you