A long time comin’: Cowboys select Coppell product Williams in NFL draft

Joe McBride

Dallas Cowboy and former Coppell Cowboy Connor Williams poses with a picture with former high school coach and current Athletic Director Joe McBride. Williams is a former UT Austin Longhorn, and was recently selected No. 50 overall as a offensive lineman for the Dallas Cowboys in the NFL Draft. (photo courtesy Joe McBride).

Akif Abidi, Staff Writer

Surrounded by news cameras, Connor Williams fell to his knees with tears of happiness streaming when he got the call from Jerry Jones, after a long laborious journey riddled with injury and doubt, Williams was now a Dallas Cowboy.

The quiet kid from Coppell has come a long way.

The football player from UT Austin was selected by the Dallas Cowboys No. 50 overall in the second round of the NFL Draft. Recognized as one of the best offensive linemen in his college days, the Dallas Cowboys are still uncertain if the 6 foot 5 inches, 296-pound rookie will play as a guard or tackle.

Coppell ISD Athletics Director Joe McBride, has known Williams since the seventh grade and coached him his entire high school career.

“He’s a great kid, great player, and a hard worker,” McBride said. “I think he can fit right into any program but I think that the Dallas Cowboys is a great fit for him because it is close to his parents here and it’s in a familiar area.”

At Coppell High School, Williams played on the Cowboys offensive line as a tight end, left tackle and right tackle. His bulky physique and strong understanding of the game had him starting a majority of the Cowboys games he played, and Williams soon went on to be the varsity captain.

An open advocate of anti-bullying, Williams went viral last December when he penned a lengthy and emotional essay labeled Dear bullies of my past. Acknowledging his previous experiences of being the picked-on in his childhood, Williams writes about how in the end, the bullying he had endured made him a more humble and grounded person and taught him humility.

“He was a great leader and captain; a quiet guy, he was really obedient and extremely determined when it came to football,” McBride said.

Williams had quite a college career, as the offensive lineman started his first college game and was an instant hit. Seeing his potential, coaches soon had him starting every game. After successful freshmen and sophomore year, the Longhorn’s player made the All-American team his second year and was also projected to be placed in the top round picks in the coming years.

By now, people had begun to recognize that Williams indeed had potential. But a serious knee injury in his fourth junior year game greatly hampered his progress. Forced to sit out while the majority of the season passed by him, and only got back in time for the last two season games. Williams also missed a lot of games his senior year but his knee injury was finally healing.

A first-team All-America tackle as a sophomore, Williams declared for the draft after his junior season with the Longhorns. Williams is the first Texas offensive lineman drafted in 10 years.

“The Cowboys have a huge need for a left guard at the moment and he is perfect for it,” McBride said. “Williams is very versatile and great at what he does. He will be their most athletic lineman.”

Follow Akif @akifabidi