On the Spot: Senior iPad returns underway to prepare for year’s end (with video)

Karis Thomas

Coppell High School campus technology aid Susan Whiting assists senior Brissa Nino as she turns in her iPad during eigth period in the downstairs blended lab. Seniors are required to turn in their issued iPads in order to graduate.

Jessica Hernandez, Staff Writer

For some Coppell High School seniors, Coppell ISD-issued iPads are a thing of the past. Many tucked their iPads away and opted for laptops and other portable devices for convenience.

Beginning today, seniors can turn in their iPads, cords and chargers. Although it may seem soon, administrators decided to begin the turn-in process now to minimize the end-of-year rush. Seniors are required to turn their iPads in before graduation practice on May 24 at 4 p.m.

“We recommend bringing them in before the end of May so the process is not overwhelming and we do not have hundreds of people turning iPads in [at the last minute],” computer lab manager Susan Whiting said.

Cords and chargers are $18 each and cracked screens cost $120 to repair. Cash or checks can be made out to CHS.

Before turning iPads in, Whiting recommends fully charging your iPad, bringing cords and chargers and being prepared with Apple ID passwords and iPad passcodes.

Last school year, CHS librarian Lynn Hevron experienced a rush of iPad turn-ins before graduation practice.

“We had a line that stretched out of the library with a lot of seniors that were frantic to turn their iPads in at the same time,” Hevron said. “It is a good lesson to this year’s seniors to turn them in now rather than later.”

As seniors are preparing for prom, end-of-year exams and graduation, turning iPads in early is an easy way to get a head start on preparing to say goodbye to CHS.

“I personally use a laptop instead of my iPad, but I plan on turning it in towards the end of the year because I haven’t used it in so long,” senior Kaylee Kendall said.