The benefits of Podcasts

Maddie Walters

Upon the arrival of my first iPod, I was introduced to the magical world of podcasts. While at first my intentions were purely for the sake of free music, I have since then come to experience the wealth of information that comes with the free purchase of podcasts.

First things first, I should explain what a podcast is. A podcast is a series of either audio or video digital media files that are released episodically and downloaded through web syndication. Sounds like a lot of technological jumbo, right? The process is actually fairly simple.

Just ask The Sidekick photographer and webmaster senior Tyler Morris. After the disbandment of the podcast class last year, The Sidekick absorbed the MacBooks and microphones and used them to create a Sidekick podcast entitled “The Sidekick Radio Network.”

According to Morris, the podcast process takes about three days. Tuesday is when the brainstorming occurs, and then Wednesday and Thursday the actual recording process takes place. Thursday night Morris edits the podcasts, a process which takes anywhere between 30 to 45 minutes, and then posts them on iTunes and www.coppellstudentmedia.com.

In addition to The Sidekick’s embracement of podcasts, certain colleges are now offering their students iTouches or iPhones with the intent of supplying students with podcasts and applications to help advance their curriculum.  I know from personal experience that Abilene Christian College and Lyon College in Batesville, Arkansas are two such colleges that are providing its students with Apple technology.

And while there is a certain thrill that comes with receiving such a handy piece of technology simply for attending a certain college, I think the reason behind it is the real reason for the excitement. Podcasts have opened up doors in all areas for me: from introducing me to new music, to providing me with French tutoring, to letting me listen to classic works of literature.

Currently, I have subscriptions to National Public Radio’s “All Concerts Considered,” which features live recordings of concerts from some of my favorite artists, and Bob Boilen’s “All Songs Considered,” in which he showcases different artists every week. The best part of these podcasts is I become privy to exclusive interviews and am able to listen to tracks off of albums before they are released.

For anyone who enjoys discovering new, free music, podcasts would be my first recommendation. While iTunes’s Single of the Day often offers musical inspiration, most of the time it provides bitter disappointment. With podcasts, although it is difficult to find mainstream music, the world of indie, underground music becomes exposed.

I will admit free music is high on my list of reasons for loving podcasts, but their wide range of benefits cannot go unnoticed. Of all the wonderful creations Apple has come out with, the one I am most grateful for would have to be podcasts.