Black holds off Red team in annual spring football game

Nicholas Pranske, Staff Writer

Down by 14, the Red team rallied for two touchdowns to tie the game, only to see a 55-yard field goal by Caden Davis to give the Black team a 24-21 victory on May 25 in the Coppell spring football game at Buddy Echols Field.

As time expired, the Red team failed to get off a tying field goal attempt.

“I feel like we have a really great [offensive] line and a couple good running backs, so I really want to make that a big part of our offense,” Coppell coach Mike DeWitt said.

Throughout the game, the teams utilized the inside run in order to gain consistent, short yardage, thus relying on the offensive line to create a pathway.

For the scrimmage, the varsity team was split into two evenly-matched teams, Red and Black, in order for the coaching staff, as well as the players themselves, to get a first look at next year’s roster.

The game started with the Black team in control, with a quick touchdown from junior quarterback Brady McBride to junior receiver Michael Quirk with a 50 yard score. This allowed the Black team an early lead just halfway through the first quarter.

McBride also seemed to connect well with sophomore receiver Blake Jackson, hitting him with passes consistently throughout the game. The two were able to constantly move the ball up the field, allowing the Black team multiple scoring opportunities. This chemistry had a prominent role in the Black team’s offense.

However, the Red team found its place on the scoreboard as freshman quarterback Drew Cerniglia threw a touchdown pass to receiver Hayden Guyse, cutting the lead to 14-7. But this was quickly returned by a touchdown by the Black team, making the score 21-7.

The Cowboys open the season on Sept. 1 at Hurst L.D. Bell.

About the Writer
Nicholas Pranske, Executive Sports Editor

Nicholas is a junior and is currently in his second year on staff. He enjoys writing sports coverage and the occasional column. You can often see him on...