Briana Thomas

‘It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas’ in Coppell

December 9, 2016

While walking around Old Town Coppell in the cold, rainy weather, one could be reminded that Coppell’s Christmas spirit is special. Despite the cancellation of the Vintage Christmas at Old Town event that was to occur on  Dec. 3, with the help of umbrellas and warm coats, Coppell citizens continued to engage in holiday festivities.

Old Town Coppell is home to a multitude of charming businesses and restaurants that line the streets and are clustered around a beautiful town square, capturing the small town essence that Coppell brings. In light of the Vintage Christmas in Old Town event scheduled to occur, businesses and restaurants had dressed themselves in glimmering lights, frosty wreaths and paper snowflakes to bring some holiday warmth to onlookers and shoppers.

Shops including Frost Cupcakery, Let it Shine boutique and Dodie’s opened their doors for customers as they shuffled in from the drizzling rain for some holiday shopping or quality time with friends and family.  

The celebration later continued at Town Center. As promised, Santa and Mrs. Claus arrived to greet and make memories with children and families. Hot chocolate and Christmas cookies greeted visitors at the door while local musicians brought their own renditions of classic holiday tunes to the stage.  

In the midst of all the excitement, volunteers did not forget to bring a sense of giving and charity to the night. Both big and small gestures of kindness filled Town Center.

“There’s a focus on giving during Christmas,” said Anne Rogers, member of the National Charity League chapter in Coppell. “But charity should happen all year round.”

As families began to settle around the Christmas tree near the end of the evening, after  a highly anticipated countdown, the tree was lit. Multicolored lights gleamed brightly  on a laughing, smiling and shivering crowd admiring the tree.

The rest of the night included Christmas treats, live music and quiet giggles as children lined up anxiously to whisper their final wishes in Santa’s ear.