Coppell+High+School+AP+and+IB+environmental+science+teacher+Holly+Anderson+is+awarded+CHS+Teacher+of+the+Year+during+third+period+Monday+morning.+Anderson+has+taught+at+CHS+for+11+years+and+has+a+passion+for+educating+for+her+students.+Photo+by+Amanda+Hair.+

Coppell High School AP and IB environmental science teacher Holly Anderson is awarded CHS Teacher of the Year during third period Monday morning. Anderson has taught at CHS for 11 years and has a passion for educating for her students. Photo by Amanda Hair.

Holly Anderson wins 2016-17 Teacher of the Year

December 6, 2016

On Monday morning, the upstairs D hall of Coppell High School was packed with APs, family and band members with drums in hand, all brought together to celebrate one woman. AP and IB Environmental Science teacher Holly Anderson was awarded 2016-17 Teacher of the Year for CHS.

“I’m overwhelmed,” Anderson said. “I [knew] when [CHS Principal Mike] Jasso walked in, but seeing everybody, that was kind of crazy. I had that tingly feeling.”

Anderson has taught in the district for 17 years, including 11 at CHS. She comes from a family of educators, as both her parents taught for 40 years.

“It’s ingrained, it’s something that she’s experienced, that’s she’s been around,” AP Ryan Lam said. “She’s taken to heart a lot of the serving mindset and being able to reach those kids to continue to grow them throughout their time here, because that is the legacy that she wants to leave.”

One such student that has been impacted by Anderson is senior Anjana Parashar, who enjoys her focus on world issues in the classroom, such as a project they are working on currently about the Dakota Oil Pipeline.

“She makes the class a lot more special because she’s really passionate about what she teaches,” Parashar said. “She makes us learn more about what is happening in the real world, and the practicalities of what could happen. She’s also just a really nice person.”

Jasso, who has known Anderson since he returned as principal six years ago, has seen her grow through the initiative she takes in and outside of the classroom.

“She’s an excellent teacher,” Jasso said. “One of the things people respect most about Mrs. Anderson is she’s constantly looking to learn and to innovate, and trying to make class better for her students.”

This is Anderson’s first nomination and first win for Teacher of the Year.

“I’m passionate about what I do, and it’s nice to be recognized for that,” Anderson said.

Congratulations to Mrs. Anderson, the 2016-2017 Teacher of the Year!