Voter registration deadline today for upcoming presidential election

Graphic by Austin Banzon

Thomas Rousseau, Staff Cartoonist

With the 2016 presidential election right around the corner, many Coppell High School seniors are eligible to vote. Whatever your partisan opinions, voting is important. The deadline for registering is today, so the time is now to find out how.

Millennials now makeup roughly the same amount of the electorate as the Baby Boomers, whereas in 2012, voters 18-29 made up only 19 percent of the total deciding vote.

Registering to vote is fairly simple process, with the deadline being so close, there are still ways to ensure that you have a say in this election.

High schools in Texas are required to help students eligible for voting in the registration process and the CHS librarians worked with government classes to hand out forms to students.

“It was a nice reminder to [the students] that they are able to vote, so hopefully we can help make that happen,” CHS librarian Lynn Hevron said.

Requirements to Register

You must be 18 by Nov. 8, a U.S. citizen and have a residence in the county in which you register.

Registration

If you meet the requirements you can fill out the form here. After filling it out and signing it you must print it and mail it into the Dallas County Registrar of Voters.

The address for the envelope should be as follows:

DALLAS COUNTY

REGISTRAR OF VOTERS

2377 N STEMMONS FWY STE 820

DALLAS TX 75027-9903

The total process takes less than 10 minutes if you know what you’re doing, and now you have all the information needed to exercise your civic duty. The deadline for the completed forms going to the Registrar office is today.