AP/IB art students paint with a purpose at showcase

Ayoung Jo

Coppell High School junior Giuliana Vargas presents her artworks to principal Mike Jasso during the AP/IB art showcase on Thursday. Vargas’s chosen concentration was two-dimensional art.

Elena Gillis, Staff Writer

On Thursday night, the International Baccalaureate (IB) and Advanced Placement (AP) art students of Coppell High School had a chance to showcase their work. The showcase featured the work of IB Visual Arts, AP 2D Design, AP Drawing and AP 3D Design students. There was a variety of paintings, sculptures, drawings, comic, digital art, and photographs.

The CHS Commons were lined with art that students had spent months toiling over. Their collections consisted of their personal favorite works, ranging from pieces that are a part of their concentration or a piece from a separate assignment.

Concentrations are a collection of works that share a common theme. The artist chooses the concentration theme at the beginning of the year and continues to create works with that theme.

CHS sophomore Isabella Droz chose to create her concentration on her Puerto Rican/Venezuelan heritage.

“It means a lot [to showcase my art],” Droz said. “The culture is beautiful, and I feel like it is my responsibility to carry it on.”

Junior Giuliana Vargas shared a similar viewpoint. “It is a good reward for hard work. I’ve really enjoyed seeing the other types of art.”

The event aimed to showcase AP and IB works to the CHS faculty, peers and parents. The artists stood by their pieces and were ready to explain the meaning behind each work.

When observing each piece, it was easy to see the emotional connection between the art and its artist. It taught the viewer about the individual, whether the viewer was another artist or not.
“[Seeing other’s pieces] helped change my viewpoint on other types of art and what is considered art,” Droz continued.  “[Creating and seeing the art] taught me about color, technique, and skills.”