Got a couple of bucks? Visit these food trucks!

March 3, 2016

If you ever find yourself wandering through Dallas on a Friday afternoon, make sure to visit Klyde Warren Park. The trucks change by day and on Fridays there are nine trucks: The Butcher’s Son, Gandolfo’s, Ruthie’s, Nammi, Coolhaus, Greek Lover, Mad Grill, Yummy Pizza and Cousins Maine Lobster.

Because these food trucks are out of the way and their food is generally pricy, this guide will hopefully steer you in the direction of finding which ones are worth your time and money.

Coolhaus

Coolhaus sells a variety of dreamy desserts such as ice cream, cookies, pre-packaged desserts, ice cream sandwiches and drinks. I ordered an ice cream sandwich, and to say the least, it was delectable – two chocolate chip cookies with a scoop of chocolate molten cake with fudge swirl ice cream. Although I wish that the cookies were warm, it was delicious. My first bite was greeted by a chocolate masterpiece. Despite it costing $5.50, it was worth it.

Two chocolate chip cookies with chocolate molten cake with fudge swirl ice cream from Coolhaus. Photo by Aubrie Sisk.
Two chocolate chip cookies with molten lava cake ice cream from Coolhaus. Photo by Aubrie Sisk.

Yummy Pizza

Yummy Pizza’s menu ranges from New York style 8 inch mini pizzas, wings, “stuffers” stuffed pizza, salads and pasta. Yummy Pizza is truly, well, yummy. The cheese was melted perfectly, while the soft crust complimented the tomatoes and basil on top. There was a slight problem though – the crust under all the toppings was flimsy and after my first bite the gooey melted cheese slid off, landing in a pile on my plate. For one eight-inch mini pizza, it cost $9.50, but again it was definitely worth it.

My eight-inch mini margarita pizza from Yummy Pizza. Photo by Aubrie Sisk.

Ruthie’s

Ruthie’s food truck sells sandwiches, soups and chips, although they’re famous for cheesy grilled cheese sandwiches. I’m not normally a grilled cheese person, but this sandwich melted in my mouth. The sandwiches were reasonably priced at $5.75, making it worth the drive. The bread was toasted to perfection along with a touch of melted cheese – I was in heaven.

Grilled cheese with ham from Ruthies. Photo by Aubrie Sisk.

Cousins Maine Lobster

Cousins Maine Lobster is just how it sounds, a menu full of lobster. Lobster Rolls, Lobster Quesadillas, Lobster Tails, Lobster Tacos, Lobster Ice Cream and many more lobster treats. I tried the ice cream to be an adventurous eater, forgetting the fact that I had never tasted actual lobster before. Somehow, I thought it would be fun to try chunks of lobster with plain ice cream. The taste was an icy, fishy bite of ice cream. And one bite was all I could take. I’m sure lobster fanatics would love this icy $5 treat, but if you are not a lobster lover then this is not for you.

Lobster ice cream from Cousins Maine Dallas. Photo by Aubrie Sisk.

Steel City Pops

Having an actual popsicle shop off of Greenville Avenue in Dallas, Steel City Pops had a small stand set up at Klyde Warren Park, offering six flavors for $3 each. Initially I tried the Piña Colada popsicle and it was too sweet for my liking, but then I tried the Strawberry Lemonade popsicle which was a perfect, icy treat to end my day. This company is famous for their reasonably priced pops and retro aesthetic – people often snap a cute picture of their pop and post it on social media.

Strawberry lemonade popsicle from Steel City Pops. Photo by Aubrie Sisk.

• J

JonahMay 12, 2016 at 1:37 pm

Aubrie, you sure know how to write an article about food. All of them are amazing, you never cease to amaze me.

Reply
  • M

Meha SrivastavMar 7, 2016 at 6:02 pm

Love the feature image!

Reply
2