Dave, Shealy revive Philosophy Club

Chisom Ukoha, Staff Writer

If you have a ship but over the years you keep upgrading and repairing it, and all the parts of the ship are replaced, is it still the same ship? “The Ship of Theseus” is one of the many philosophical questions that Coppell High School senior Ajay Dave uses to open a Philosophy Club.

CHS co-founders senior Kigen Shealy and Dave have been working this year to make the Philosophy Club popular again.

“The membership is not as strong as it was last year,” Dave said. “We have about six members that show up on a regular basis. But we are still trying to build up our membership.”

Dave was part of Philosophy Club last year and enjoyed it. Dave enjoyed it so much because he thinks it helped him better himself.

“I went to the club because I had always been interested in philosophy and I wanted to better myself, and I like having stimulating discussions with people,” Dave said.

Shealy went to Philosophy Club after Dave invited him and immediately took an interest in the club. Dave and Shealy enjoyed the club so much that they decided to start it up again and share the experience with others after former Advanced Placement (AP) psychology teacher John Crocker resigned.

“We started the club again because we wanted to help people better themselves by helping them get a better understanding of themselves,” Shealy said.

The Philosophy Club meets every other Wednesday, with its next meeting Feb. 17 from 4-5 p.m. When they meet, Dave starts it by asking a philosophical question and from there they just discuss philosophy. The club meets in C225, the room of English teacher and sponsor Joy Han.

“The club is really good for the students,” Han said. “I don’t comment during their meetings, but I listen, and their conversations seem to be beneficial to them and help them get a better sense of themselves, and be the best version of themselves.”