City Council members discuss future projects, awards for Coppell

January 20, 2016

During Tuesday night’s City Council meeting, Coppell mayor Karen Hunt accepts two awards given by “Imagenuity Interactive” for the city's website. Photo by Amanda Hair.
During Tuesday night’s City Council meeting, Coppell mayor Karen Hunt accepts two awards given by “Imagenuity Interactive” for the city’s website. Photo by Amanda Hair.

On Jan. 12, the Coppell City Council passed many requests of the citizens and businesses of Coppell along with a national honor awarded to the website of the city.

The first item covered was an awards presentation by “Imagenuity Interactive”, which is a national website interface design company. The City of Coppell website was awarded the “W3” and “Silver Davy” for the best government website which is a national honor as the website competed against businesses, cities and large agencies.

Next, Mayor Karen Hunt opened the floor for citizens to voice their opinions about city matters and concerns.

David Bell, who came up to the podium first, is a Coppell citizen who lives along Denton Creek and came to the stand in concern of his neighbors who are being affected by the creek and land erosion. He hoped to ensure that future developments such as this case are avoided with the support of the city.

“Hopefully the [property] will be in a position to work with the government to ensure that proper precautions are put in place to preserve the property,” Bell said.

As discussed on Tuesday and during previous city council meetings, the city can only minimally assist private property owners, especially regarding damages caused by natural causes.

“I think the city is doing the right thing here and we really cannot do anymore,” councilman Mark Hill said.

Many businesses that requested zoning changes, such as Zenzero, Verizon Wireless and Liberation Coffee Company, were approved by the council.

City Manager Clay Phillips was prompted to sign a document that allowed Fire Station No. 1 to use money to fix its foundation as soon as possible.

Following three public hearings about land development and property, the meeting started coming to a close, clocking in at around 9 p.m.

The meeting was ended with a message from Mayor Hunt recognizing the staff that put together Coppell’s “National Night Out”. Coppell was was awarded first place in the State and third place in the country for its work on the even.

“As usual, Coppell comes out winning and got some really good recognition for that,” Hunt said.

Councilman Wes Mays discussed his experience with the fuel and emission reduction program at the alternative transportation committee of North Texas.

Mays pointed out that fleets in the North Texas area had reduced emission by 22 million pounds of pollutants.

“Much to my surprise, the City of Coppell was awarded the bronze award…we were one of the eight cities in the country to make the award,” Mays said.

• S

Sakshi VenkatramanJan 20, 2016 at 9:25 pm

Great job on this coverage!

Reply
    • T

Tanya RaghuJan 21, 2016 at 5:09 pm

Thank you!

Reply
2