10 valuable tips to make your high school experience priceless

By Shivani Burra
@shiviburra

At this point in my life, I am thinking about how overrated high school is and how ready I am for this stage of my life to be over and be on my way to college.

But as I take a minute, I think about how much I will truly miss these people I have been around for the last four years and I think about how now is the time I need to cherish my family and friends.

I hope to share the advice and lessons I have learned through a tough yet rewarding four year journey:

1. Join as many clubs and organizations as you can. During my senior year, I gave numerous tours as a Red Jacket that involved me telling prospective students and parents that Coppell High School is a great place with amazing opportunities. At the time, it was just something I was told to say when giving a tour, however, as my senior year continued I realize the credibility of this. If it was not for playing on varsity tennis or writing for The Sidekick, I would have missed out on amazing people, experiences and memories. As cheesy as it sounds, it is very true.
  2. Do not stress about what people are saying about you behind your back because I promise you they will have something or someone new to talk about shortly.
  3. Spend time with your parents and tell them you love them as much as you possibly can. I remember one morning going downstairs and seeing my mom in tears over the fact that her only child would soon be leaving her. I saw her in distress because even while I was living under the same roof as her, I barely spent any time with her. Make time for your parents because they are the ones who raised you and will be there for you longer than any high school friend you make.
  4. Do your homework. I can not stress this enough; I have never thought of myself as an academic person and looking back on my four years, I wish I took my class work more seriously because when senior year rolls around and it is time to put your grade point average on a little line on the college application, it may be too late.
  5. Fries before guys. Girls, do not spend too much time stressing over boys who don’t care about you, and mostly importantly, do not change yourself for any guy because the right one will come. It might not happen in high school but it will happen eventually. As I look back at the guys I use to stress over during freshman and sophomore year,  I realize they are not in my life any more, which is for the better.
  6. Crying is OK. The amount of times I had a mental breakdown junior year and cried outside of D115 is unbelievable. I use to be embarrassed or scared to cry and show people that I did not have it all together, but it’s OK. People understand and will help you remove the smeared mascara.
  7. It is OK if you forget to do your homework or get in a fight with your best friend or do something to upset your mom. Messing up is normal because we are all humans. Even the people who seem to have everything put together, don’t.
  8. Tell people how you truly feel. I have always been that I am a loud person who says anything that comes to my mind, which at times turned around to bite me in the you know what. But it is better than sitting on what you have to say and letting people walk all over you.
  9. Watch the news. Be informed. Live outside of the Coppell bubble, because Coppell although is your world right now, there is so much more going on.
  10. Enjoy. Enjoy the silly things that Coppell has to offer. Moving from California, the Coppell experience was a different world for me. It was no more moving paddle boarding in the lake that was about a two minute walk from my house but instead it was going to Whataburger or Tappy’s with my free time. Even though Coppell is not as exciting as other cities and places in the world it still is home, for now.

If I had any advice for my underclassmen friends or it would be to not let silly high school drama run your life. Pretty soon, it will seem petty and stupid. Make every moment count. Soon, you will blink and it will all be over. You have no idea how fast time will fly by.

3