• Coppell ISD is closed for spring break. Coppell Student Media publishing resumes March 18.

Cowboys defeat Eastwood, take on Marcus in regional final today

Senior forward Justin Todd maneuvers the ball into position for a cross as a Duncanville defender impedes his path to the goal in Coppell’s UIL Regional Quarterfinal match against the Panthers on Apr. 8. The Cowboys will face Flower Mound Marcus in the Region I final match on Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m. Photo by Shannon Wilkinson.
Senior forward Justin Todd maneuvers the ball into position for a cross as a Duncanville defender impedes his path to the goal in Coppell's UIL Regional Quarterfinal match against the Panthers on Apr. 8. The Cowboys will face Flower Mound Marcus in the Region I final match on Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m.  Photo by Shannon Wilkinson.
Senior forward Justin Todd maneuvers the ball into position for a cross as a Duncanville defender impedes his path in Coppell’s UIL Regional Quarterfinal match against the Panthers on Apr. 8. The Cowboys will face Flower Mound Marcus in the Region I final match on Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m. Photo by Shannon Wilkinson.

By John Loop
Sports Editor

Only three games stand between Cowboy soccer (20-1-2) and a return to the state championship game at Birkelbach Stadium in Georgetown. Unfortunately, Coppell’s opponent today, the Flower Mound Marcus Marauders (19-1-4), gave the Cowboys fits in district play.

Coppell and Marcus square off at 2 p.m. at Midland’s Grand Communications Stadium in the UIL Class 5A Region I final today.

“They’ll definitely be pumped up and want revenge from last year,” senior forward Chris Madden said. “We’ll just have to play our game. We’ve done well against them this year, so we’ll just have to continue to stop what they’re going to try and do.”

Coppell defeated Marcus in the first round of District 5-5A play 2-1, and tied 1-1 in the second round.  Both teams finished in the top two of the final regular season Dallas Morning News SportsDay HS soccer rankings.

Marcus defeated Arlington 1-0, with the lone Marauder goal coming from senior defender Trace Marshall, his first of the season, in the 81st minute.

Cowboys handle El Paso-Eastwood, 3-1

The Cowboys seized their chance early and often against the El Paso Eastwood Troopers (22-3-3), leading to an easy 3-1 victory at Midland’s Grande Communications Stadium on Friday.

Senior forward Justin Todd started the scoring with a goal in the games first 10 minutes. Senior forward Colten Clark then effectively put the game away in the 58th minute with a goal of his own.