iTunes Festival comes to Austin with 15 big artists

Graphic By Rachel Buigas-Lopez
Graphic By Rachel Buigas-Lopez
Graphic By Rachel Buigas-Lopez

By Sloane Samberson

Fifteen big named artists. Five amazing shows. The iTunes Festival at South by Southwest is bound to be legendary.

Located at the Moody Theater in Austin, the iTunes Festival starts Tuesday and ends March 15. This will be the first year that the festival is not located in London making it a huge American affair.

Performances have taken place in London ever since the iTunes Festival began in 2007. This year Apple’s senior vice president, Eddy Cue, decided that it was time to bring this incredible way to share music to the states.

You can watch your favorite artists perform live or after their performance via the iTunes Store.

Those who own Apple TVs can watch the concerts by streaming them through AirPlay with the official iTunes Festival app, or by finding it on the main menu.

Tickets are not available to the public to buy, but can be won for free. You have to work for SXSW or own a Platinum or Music badge in order to attend. Those who are younger than 18 are not allowed to attend, unless 14 or older and escorted by an adult.

You can obtain a SXSW Platinum or Music badge by paying a maximum price of $1695. This badge allows you to attend select events at SXSW during the time of March 7-16.

You may no longer buy badges to attend the festival for the deadline was Feb. 7. SXSW along with select bands have been conducting drawings for lucky fans to attend the show.

“Coldplay announced that they were going to have a drawing for 50 lucky fans to win a pair of tickets to the March 11 performance. Fans had to insert their email into a drawing to win. I inserted my email but sadly did not win,” sophomore Maggie Stone said.

The iTunes Festival aims to please fans of all genres. Tuesday will consist of alternative bands, Wednesday rap artists, Thursday rock bands, Friday pop/house artists and Saturday country artists.

“When I heard that Coldplay, Imagine Dragons and London Grammar were all playing on the same day, I got so excited. They are three of my favorite bands. I can’t wait to watch them play on Tuesday,” junior Catherine Ruedi said.

In previous years artists such as Mumford and Sons, HAIM, One Direction, The xx, Florence and the Machine, John Legend, Matchbox Twenty and Amy Winehouse performed at the festival.

“Looking at the artists who have played at the iTunes Festival in the past makes me one day want to attend. The lineups are always so good,” sophomore Austin Hansen said.

Whether you are watching live from SXSW or from the comfort of your own home, iTunes Festival 2014 is one you will not want to miss.

The line-up for each day will follow as below:

Tuesday, March 11

7:30 p.m.- London Grammar
8:30 p.m.- Imagine Dragons
10:00 p.m.- Coldplay

Wednesday, March 12

8:00 p.m.- Isaiah Rashad
8:45 p.m.- ScHoolboy Q
10:00 p.m.- Kendrick Lamar

Thursday, March 13

8:00 p.m.- Capital Cities
8:45 p.m.- Band of Skulls
10 p.m.- Soundgarden

Friday, March 14

8:00 p.m.- G.R.L
8:45 p.m.- ZEDD
10:00 p.m.- Pitbull

Saturday, March 15

8:00 p.m.- Mickey Guyton
8:45 p.m.- Willie Nelson
10:00 p.m.- Keith Urban