Lack of professionalism shown through clothes

By Shannon Morgan

Being the fashion guru that I am, I love the latest styles and trends.

CHS is full of them, and a longstanding trend here has been oversized T-shirts and Nike shorts.

Most girls like to get the largest shirt they can find and wear it over Nike shorts. When worn separately, T-shirts and Nike shorts are understandable clothing choices for every

Shannon Morgan storyday life, but together they can often create a false impression that you do not care what you look like.

Do not get me wrong, I understand that sometimes you need to be comfortable due to a late night of homework or college applications. Life can get in the way sometimes, and the easiest thing to do is throw on a T-shirt and Nike shorts, be on your way quickly and comfortably.

Something else to consider is the dress code. The problem is that this does not technically violate the dress code, but when your shirt is covering your shorts and you look like you forgot to wear pants that day, it should be against the dress code.

Wearing T-shirts and Nike shorts can also portray confidence. You do not really care what other people think of you, so wearing a T-shirt and Nike shorts everyday doesn’t bother you.

Being comfortable in your own skin is important, and I applaud you for figuring out who you are early in life. Bravo.

I do not understand why girls are dressing like this now. In five to 10 years, you will be going to work at an office and will have to dress professionally every single day. There will be no “Nike short Fridays”, and the luckiest you might get is being able to wear jeans to work once in a while.

The same can be said for guys. They usually like to come to school in the over glorified brand called Nike and only dress up on game days, and that is only if they play a sport. Boys are just guilty of the same trend girls are, but somehow they get away with it.

I am not implying that everyone who dresses like that is lazy and a slacker but I think students should be preparing for what lies ahead in the future.

Also, I am not saying girls need to come to school in slacks and dresses or that boys need to wear a suit everyday. But putting effort into dressing professionally might help you feel better around your friends and peers, and also (and more importantly) your teachers.

Dressing in something besides an oversized T-shirt  and Nike shorts will not kill you. In the long run, it will probably benefit you more than anything. But please, continue to wear big shirts and Nike shorts if you want, and later in life you will receive a rude awaking.