Pageant racism is ridiculous, Gross says

Pageant+racism+is+ridiculous%2C+Gross+says+

By Stephanie Gross

America is a melting pot, whether the people in this country believe it or not.

It seems as if many people are forgetting that ever since Nina Davuluri was crowned Miss America 2014.  Competing as Miss New York, Davuluri was crowned Miss America on Sept. 15.

Davuluri is the first woman of Indian heritage to win the Miss America pageant. She is the second consecutive Miss New York to win.

Soon after she was announced as the winner, Twitter blew up with a series of hateful tweets. Davuluri was classified as an Arab alongside countless amounts of tweets using racial slurs.

First of all, Davuluri is of Indian heritage. Come on people, if you have the time of day to sit and tweet meaningless and hateful comments, look at a map and educate yourselves on basic geography you should have learned back in the third grade while you are at it.

I find it as a laughable matter that many people are so stupidly ignorant to say such horrible things towards a contestant that had a fair chance just like all of the other women competing. Her ethnicity is different, so what?  In 2000, Angela Perez Baraquio won and was born in Hawaii and of Filipino descent. What is the difference between her winning in 2000 and Davuluri winning in 2013? They were both born in the United States and are citizens.

Twitter is a breeding ground

This country is blended with all different kinds of people. America would not be thought as the amazing country it is if it did not offer the types of opportunities to everyone who lives here.

Davuluri is an American citizen; she was born in this country. That is why I want to shake my head at these racist tweets. She is just like anyone in this country and she deserved to win the pageant just as much as any of the other contestants.

Miss America Racism
Graphic by Rachel Buigas-Lopez

Her Bollywood dance was incredible. I would love to see anyone who thought that she did not deserve to win to go on television and dance in front of a large audience. I think Davuluri would have the last laugh.