CHS enjoys hacky sacking

Yogesh Patel

Graphics Designer

How many times have you walked by a group of kids in a circle throwing a small bag around using only their feet? At Coppell High School, the game of hacky sack has earned a prestigious place as a fun and entertaining activity that everybody can partake in.

The game of hacky sack was invented in the 20th century, but it has very ancient roots. One of the earliest known forms of hacky sacking was a game called ‘shuttlecock’ in Japan, around 600 AD.

Over the years, the precursors of hacky sack have taken various forms around the world. But the modern game that millions love was invented in the 1970s. More specifically, in 1972, John Stalberger and Mike Marshall invented the game. Unfortunately, Marshall would die of a heart attack three years later, but Stalberger would go on to make the hacky sack famous. The toy maker “Wham-O” would buy the rights to the foot bag and would soon become the trademark item of the company.

The game of hacky sack involves two or more people tossing a foot bag between each, other using their feet, without trying to drop the bag on the ground. In addition, tricks and creative stunts are used to add an extra amount of challenge to the game.

Today, hacky sacking is thought of as an underappreciated and undervalued sport that involves a skill that allows the students of Coppell High School to have a simple and easy way to kick back and relax.

“Hacky sacking is a fun activity and is a good way to relieve stress.” Sebas Manacera said.”

However, not all at CHS agree with Sebas’s view of the hacky sack. Associate Principal Mike Dominguez says that while hacky sacking is fun, it can be dangerous and hurt a by standard.

“I have no problem with it during lunch and outside the building”. Dominguez said.

In any case, hacky sacking is an enjoyable sport that is here to stay at CHS.