ADHD over-diagnosed among Coppell students

Graphic by Brian Hwu.
Graphic by Brian Hwu.

By Tolu Salako

Graphic by Brian Hwu.

A student in the middle of class is just itching to jump out of their sit. The student is constantly scolded for talking too much and disrupting the class. Unfortunately these students do not understand why they act this way, not knowing that they may be diagnosed with the popular neurological disorder, Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder.

Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder is one of the most commonly diagnosed behavioral disorders in children.  Mostly diagnosed in boys, the symptoms may includelack of Attention, impulsive behavior and hyperactivity.

As of 2007, parents of 5.4 million people ranging from 4 to 17 years old were receiving medical treatment. They reported approximately 2.7 million, of those children were diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder.

“I normally notice [that students with ADHD] have a rapid heart rate, are rather anxious and their blood pressure is high.” Coppell High School nurse Beth Dorn said.

Though ADHD is a significant health issue for some, the term has been used casually, as if the idea of being distracted at times means they are automatically diagnosed with this neurological disorder.

Some students at CHS believe they are legitimately diagnosed with ADHD, and some think students use it as an excuse for their behavior. To be a diagnosed with ADHD, students must exhibit six or more attention or hyperactive/impulsivity symptoms before the age of 7, and these symptoms must be present for at least six months.

Focus can be a challenge for some teenagers and there are students in America that will use the prescription drugs such as Adderall, Dexedrine and Ritalin to deal with their ADHD. Worst of all, these drugs can be easy for students to get ahold of.

“There is a possibility that ADHD is over-diagnosed because many people are sometimes looking for an excuse for their lack of focus and bad grades.” Dorn said.

Some students think their might be a possibility of them having this neurological disorder because they believe that they exhibit many of the symptoms, however they refuse to receive medication or any sort of special treatment.

“I think that ADHD is ridiculously diagnosed,” sophomore Mary Claire Phillips said. “People get restless and get lazy sometimes which does not mean that they automatically have ADHD/ADD.”

Disregarding how common this disorder is among the American population, there are people at CHS that cope with their ADHD on a day-to-day basis. These students have had to deal with years of medication and problems with concentration and schoolwork before they were officially diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder. Teachers and parents are usually the first to sight ADHD symptoms before those with ADHD.

“I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was in fourth grade in which I wanted a lot of attention and at times disrupted the class.” junior Shelby Jurca said, “I am on several medications an I do not believe that ADHD should be used as an excuse. ADHD is something you have to control.”

ADHD is a serious neurological disorder that students should not take lightly or be used as an excuse for lack of focus. Students need to talk to a qualified physician if they believe that they may suffer from this disorder and not self-diagnose themselves.

“I definitely would recommend for students to go see a doctor if students believe they have ADHD since it is a serious problem.” Dorn said.