CHS teams up for St. Jude

by Shelby Jurca

Video by Matt French

In the next few weeks, CHS students will be promoting St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital through a letter writing campaign called “Team Up for St. Jude’s”. Students will participate in this event through their SPUR classes, lead by their student council representatives.

One of St. Jude’s missions is to research and help to find cures for childhood cancer. This campaign helps spread awareness about their purpose and gain support from people all around the country.

“This is our 2nd year working with St. Jude’s,” student council sponsor, Sunny Richardson said. “It is a good experience to complete service learning. You are providing a service and learning about giving. We all should help others in any way we can, whether that is writing letters, volunteering or promoting certain causes.”

Last year, some students didn’t exactly understand what the purpose of the campaign was and what they were supposed to do. Student Council has slightly changed up the process this year to avoid another misunderstanding.

“We are adding an introductory video to help explain the 25 Names Fast List and what is Team Up,” Richardson said. “Hopefully, there will be more participation due to student understanding of the event.”

Student council officers are very passionate about this campaign and helping the people at St. Jude’s. “When you think about it, one in four people are affected with cancer, and it could be one of your family members and you would want people to help you with your hospital bills and stuff.” CHS junior and Student Council public relations chair, Alanna Diggs said. “St. Jude’s cost 1.9 million dollars to run. The hospital is free because most people can’t afford to pay for cancer treatments, so this campaign raises money for the hospital.”

CHS isn’t the only school taking on this effort. Schools around the country are getting the word out about St. Jude’s work in their own ways. Sending out letters isn’t the only way to help, going online to the St. Jude’s website and making a donation can help the cause. It’s a way to unite the school and the country by having fun and supporting a good cause at the same time.

To help the school get motivated, CHS has put dress up days in place this week and offered prizes as a reward for sending the most letters.

“The grade that writes the most letters will win off campus lunch and the student that writes the most letters wins a Flip camera.,” Diggs said.

Though last year’s campaign did a lot for St. Jude’s in terms of letters and donations, this year, Student Council is pushing CHS to take it over the top.

“Our goal is to double the amount of letters sent out last year, which was 4,000, but also to double the amount of money we raised for St. Jude’s.”CHS junior and Student Council vice-president Abigail Femi-Ogunyemi said. “We were the top school in southwest region last year, so we’re raising the stakes to defend our title!”

St. Jude’s has saved the lives of many kids because of support from programs like this. The progress of St. Jude’s has provided the medical world with enhancements in medicine and research. By working together, CHS can promote St. Jude’s mission and help them continue to save lives.